How to update short vb code to python

05-30-2016 02:20 AM
RachelS
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I created a short model to update one field based on another in a SQl geodatabase using modelbuilder, exported it to python, however it only works in pyscripter not in python.

It seems Calculate field cannot use VB expressions in 64-bit ArcGIS products. I'm not sure of python so can anyone tell me how to change this vb code into python in the Code Block of Calculate Field

If IsNull ([ColumnA]) then

[ColumnA] = [ColumnB]

End If

ColumnA is a date field so if it is Null then update it with ColumnB (text field).

Many thanks

Rachel

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

You would need to put it in a Python definition function:

RachelS

Thank you, this worked and the model runs with the python in the codeblock, however when I export it to python and run it, it's saying Error 000732: Input Table x does not exist or is not supported. Failed to execute (calculate Field).

This is what my python script looks like

# Import arcpy module
import arcpy
# Local variables:
Seizures_DBO_Seizures = "Database Servers\\servername_SQLEXPRESS.gds\\Seizures (VERSION:dbo.DEFAULT)\\Seizures.DBO.Seizures"
Seizures_DBO_Seizures2 = Seizures_DBO_Seizures
# Process: Calculate Field
arcpy.CalculateField_management(Seizures_DBO_Seizures, "Date_Seized", "setField( !Date_Seized!, !DateSeized!)", "PYTHON_9.3", "def setField( val1, val2 ):\\n  if val1 is None:\\n    return val2\\n  else:\\n    return val1")

The Date_Seized was ColumnA

And DateSeized was ColumnB.

Would it be something to do with the blackslashes is doesn't like?

Many thanks

Rachel

0 Kudos
FC_Basson
MVP Regular Contributor

Try setting your input parameters as variables before running the Calculate Field step as on this example page: Calculate Field—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop  (search for the Calculate ranges example)

0 Kudos
RachelS

I changed the filepath to

r"C:\Users\mynamet\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.3\ArcCatalog\databasename\datasetname

and that seems to have done the trick.

Many thanks for your help

Rachel