Select to view content in your preferred language

How to start with ArcPy to automate repetitive mapping

Thursday
RajaRajeshwariSaravanan
New Contributor

I am working with multiple maps for my repetitive reports that I build (mainly Real Estate data - Industrial, Retail, Office) and I repeat the mapping process from scratch every time. Is ArcPy the solution to automate this, if yes can you please send me suggestions on how to do that? Or is there a better approach to this? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HaydenWelch
Occasional Contributor II

Are you currently building the project from scratch each time?

You can start by creating a blank template project and just copy/pasting that whole directory assuming you're working with Pro and GDB data sources.

As for automation of reports, yes. Anything that is done using Geo processing in Arc can be done in Arcpy. Even some geometry editing if you want to get deep into the Geometry rabbit hole (see Dan Patterson's work in the Ideas board for some of that).

For general reporting though, if you're not using Arcpy, you're wasting tons of time. I deal with setup and teardown of dozens of complex projects a day with my scripts and tools. Something that used to take an hour or more is now a 20 second script.

TonyAlmeida
Occasional Contributor III

If you're working in ArcGIS Pro, you can easily export your geoprocessing history to a Python script or add it to a model. To do this:

1. Open your project in ArcGIS Pro.
  2. Go to the Geoprocessing History pane.
  3. Locate the process you want to export.
  4. Right-click on the process.
  5. Select either Export to Python to generate a Python script, or Add to Model to include the process in a geoprocessing model.

This can help streamline your workflow and automate repetitive tasks.