Select to view content in your preferred language

How to start learnig Python

07-05-2013 10:51 PM
DXXX
by
Deactivated User
Hey all, I have been working in GIS for a while now and its time for me to step up regarding learning Python. I am just wondering is there a structured online resourse tourtorials which teach Python to complete begineers. I dont want to do any programming just python regarding using it with ArcGIS desktop for GIS work. Anyone find such a thing?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
ESRI press book
�??Python Scripting for ArcGIS�?� (Zandbergen, 2013)
http://store.esri.com/esri/showdetl.cfm?SID=2&Product_ID=1375&Category_ID=42
would be a good place to start after you have gone through the help files for ArcMap
0 Kudos
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor
Yes, I agree with Dan, that's a good place to start if you're just interested in dipping your toes into programming. Eric Pimpler's book, Programming ArcGIS 10.1 with Python is a good follow-up once you have some of the basics down, and if you do decide to learn more Python, consider reading Learn Python the Hard Way, which is free online with an optional for-pay video guide.

cheers,
Shaun
0 Kudos
DXXX
by
Deactivated User
Thanks guys. Hopefully the company will pony up for the book. I should have been clearer before. What I really want to be able to do is have a better command of the operators, like labeling every 10th row, like selecting out rows in attributte tables things like this. From there I could move on to more complex tasks. Would this book provide me such a stepped approach?
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
you need the basics first, then check the scripts on ArcGISOnline and this forum for specific postings.
0 Kudos