How to get to this blog page on python toolboxes?

Jump to solution
06-21-2018 02:18 AM
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

ESRI, 

Anyone from ESRI please can you tell me how to get to this blog page?

http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/12/14/how-to-debug-python-toolboxes-in-3-easy-steps/

There is an idea calling for a better way to run a python toolbox in debug mode. Curtis Price makes mention (as do others if one searches the internet) of this blog page. I am unable to follow the link as it simply dumps you at the blog front page, then I try a host of search terms and fail to return anything relevant.

Why am I desperate to read this page? There is no advice in the official ESRI desktop help manual under Python Toolboxes on how to run through a python toolbox in debug mode in an IDE. Yes you can debug a Script Tool but I need to know how to debug a python Toolbox in an IDE. This blog appears to suggest a solution but I am unable to view it!

Duncan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure why the Wackback Machine image is so fuzzy.  Here is a larger/crisper version of PYTdebugging.png image:

Python Toolbox Debugging

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Normally I search by date... since you have the dates.

But a date range covering your links returns nothing

Michelle Mathias‌ can this be tracked down...

Duncan has the exact date in the link, but it maybe re-dated during the blog moves and now has a new number

DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Dan,

I did actually try the date filter before I posted but like you it found nothing. Useful for others to know.

0 Kudos
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

Dan, Duncan, I will pass along this request/ feedback to the ArcGIS blog team. Thanks.

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Just to say this very useful page is now discover-able although the older links sprinkled around on the internet don't really work. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

That's a really cool tool Joshua Bixby!  Thanks for posting it....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Joshua,

Thanks for the link, looking at the fuzzy image I was able to put in the main() code and run it as debug mode in pyscripter. It's a bit of a fudge it looks like one is unable to run interactively so for example what if your input was a layer with a selection? Fortunately for me I'm not in that scenario so it seems to be working.

But it would be best if ESRI reinstate this important blog page for other people who are looking to debug python toolboxes. It's quite frustrating that when one searches forums, including geonet, that there are references to ESRI blog pages that have simply been lost when they hold such valuable information, much like ArcScripts.

Duncan

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not sure why the Wackback Machine image is so fuzzy.  Here is a larger/crisper version of PYTdebugging.png image:

Python Toolbox Debugging