How to add an input text area in ArcToolBox as a parameter?

04-19-2016 01:41 PM
SaidAkif
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I want to add a text zone (or an sql expression zone) to add text or sql statement when I lunch my tool.

I tried to do so by using string or sql expression parameter with multi-values. the problem is that I can not write any text.

I noticed also that there is a button at the right of Select all/Unselect all but it is all the time not activated

Any help please??

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you can add a parameter of text/string type with direction as input.  Don't expect a big text area to enter prose, just a line.  If you want an sql statement, then you can use that as well, but you are limited to what it allows.

What is the purpose of the text?  The only time I have used one is for someone to enter multiple values as a line or a list, which I then parse within the script.

So some background would help

Setting script tool parameters—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Understanding script tool parameters—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you want a SQL dialog to work, you may need to set the Obtained from property to link the input parameter to a feature layer or feature class input parameter. (This property is way down at the bottom of the parameter list in the script tool parameter dialog.) (Right click script tool, Properties, Parameters tab.)

SaidAkif
New Contributor III

Thanks all for your prompt answers

Yes I add a string parameter and it was fine when I set its MultiValue property as No.

I wanted a big text area so I set MultiValue property as Yes. At this time I got a big area but I wasn't able to add text.

Do I can write in this area with  MultiValue property = Yes

When I used SQL expression parameter and another parameter as Feature class or Feature layer, The Obtained from property of the SQL expression parameter was not reachable, meaning that I was not able to link this parameter to the layer

Any help please?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

text stuff...you will get multiple input lines, not one big area, If you have the need to get a big block of text, load a text file or tweet within the limits of the input line.

sql stuff... you have to have a feature class/layer/table as a parameter in order for the derived parameter to derive something from.  Think along the lines... when you want to get the information from a field, the field parameter is derived from the featureclass/shapefile that is a preceeding parameter.  You can't do an SQL on something that isn't a parameter first...there is nothing to sql from, ergo, the thing you want to query has to be a parameter, then you can query it

0 Kudos
SaidAkif
New Contributor III

Thanks

For the SQL expression parameter I am still can not link it to my Feature layer parameter

Said

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the fc and the sql should be able to be linked...obviously you are going to have to provide some visuals.. interest is waining since there is too much conjecture and guess work

0 Kudos
SaidAkif
New Contributor III

I can not change the yellow zone below

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

sql... type derived... obtained from... featureclass (feature layer may be ok)  You have it as optional and the sql statement is superfluous

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Lots of lookers, but no other suggestions, did you get it to work with the fixes?

0 Kudos