How to access the ID of a published service on ArcGIS Portal?

Jump to solution
11-18-2021 02:09 AM
RehanChaudhary
Occasional Contributor

I have created an image service through a python script by first creating the draft and then staging and uploading the service definittion to the portal using these three function from arcpy in the same order "CreateImageSDDraft", "StageService_server", "UploadServiceDefinition_server".

Now i want to access the ID of the service that has been created so i can modify the contents or delete the service. How can i access the ID through python?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Also note that you can access the ID of anything in your portal using the ArcGIS Python API. If you're running it from Pro, it might look like:

from arcgis.gis import GIS
gis = GIS("home")

search = gis.content.search('some service name or search term', max_items=-1)

[f'{i.id}  |  {i.title[:32]:32}  |  {i.type}' for i in search]

jcarlson_0-1637243151704.png

I think @DonMorrison1  has the proper solution to this, but if you needed to find the ID after the fact, being able to quickly search the portal and return it is useful as well.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DonMorrison1
Occasional Contributor III

You can get that from the "Derived Output" which is described in the documentation.  Here is a snippet of my code that gets the item of the published image service

rsp = arcpy.UploadServiceDefinition_server(<sd_output_filename>, "HOSTING_SERVER")
    gis_item = gis.content.get(rsp[2])

RichardHowe

@DonMorrison1 I arrived at this post after searching for this very solution. Unfortunately you code doesn't seem to work for me

When I use it as it is there for my newly uploaded hosted feature layer it throws:

Exception: Invalid URL
(Error Code: 400)

Has something changed since you posted this? If not, and just as an aside, I'm curious as to why you're accessing the [2] from your rsp item. This implies to me rsp is returning a list and you;re requesting the third item in that list

0 Kudos
RichardHowe

Scratch that, I inadvertently answered my own question. For anyone else that arrives here:

The derived parameters listed in the help are accessed in the order they're listed. So @DonMorrison1 solution [2] is correct for gaining the out_mapServiceItemID parameter as it's third on the list.

Because I am using this on a hosted feature layer, I needed the fourth item on the list i.e. [3]

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Also note that you can access the ID of anything in your portal using the ArcGIS Python API. If you're running it from Pro, it might look like:

from arcgis.gis import GIS
gis = GIS("home")

search = gis.content.search('some service name or search term', max_items=-1)

[f'{i.id}  |  {i.title[:32]:32}  |  {i.type}' for i in search]

jcarlson_0-1637243151704.png

I think @DonMorrison1  has the proper solution to this, but if you needed to find the ID after the fact, being able to quickly search the portal and return it is useful as well.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos