how should I share an arcpy .pyt toolbox with the organisation?

Jump to solution
07-31-2017 01:02 PM
LucasMostyn2
New Contributor II

I don't seem to be able to publish using AGOL. Should I just use a network drive? Ideally I would have liked to share it into a group with a bunch of other related content.

cheers,

Lucas

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ClintonDow1
Occasional Contributor II

If you don't use 3rd-party packages in your code then you should be able to share the .pyt file as-is over a network share. If you're importing packages that aren't present in the base installation (ie: via pip (10.x) or conda (Pro) and importing them in your .pyt) then you will need to ensure that those packages are installed on consumers' machines as well.

Alternatively, if you're sharing with more tech-savy colleagues, you could host the .pyt on a site like github.com - this will make it easier to ensure everyone is using the same version of your file, if you need make any changes.

I'm happy to elaborate on anything if you'd like, let me know. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ClintonDow1
Occasional Contributor II

If you don't use 3rd-party packages in your code then you should be able to share the .pyt file as-is over a network share. If you're importing packages that aren't present in the base installation (ie: via pip (10.x) or conda (Pro) and importing them in your .pyt) then you will need to ensure that those packages are installed on consumers' machines as well.

Alternatively, if you're sharing with more tech-savy colleagues, you could host the .pyt on a site like github.com - this will make it easier to ensure everyone is using the same version of your file, if you need make any changes.

I'm happy to elaborate on anything if you'd like, let me know. 

LucasMostyn2
New Contributor II

thanks for the reply. I will go with the github option, I was just hoping it was possible to make the .pyt file part of an online group. cheers, Lucas

0 Kudos