How merge Vertical Polygons

08-30-2016 09:38 AM
chandrasekhar_reddyguda
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I have few vertical polygons (PolyZM   building facades). Now customer asking to merge all adjacent polygons where the angle between two polygons is < 1° or >1°.

I tried with ITopologicaloperator.union function, but after union polygons disappearing.

Kindly help me how to merge these polygons either python or .net.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I suspect that a union in any environment won't dissolve boundaries if there are gaps... have you checked for those

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting problem.

The topology engine isn't going to directly help you as its 2D, planar, or works from the top down. Since your polygons don't have depth, you'll get some wild results.

One off the wall idea in code is to take the three polygons and create new geometries, transposing the Z to Y coordinates, so you're laying them flat. You can then run the union to get a single flat geometry then reverse the Y to Z to stand it upright. The only concern would be rounding.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sean... sort-of works, until the geometry is checked again, then any shared geometries (by more than 1 point) in the x,y or z plane get dissolved ... at least in the geometries used in Map or Pro

0 Kudos