How can I use unicode characters in the path to an FGDB

Jump to solution
07-12-2018 11:03 AM
MichaelRapp
New Contributor

I am attempting to use the RasterToGeodatabase_conversion to store rasters in a raster catalog stored in the File Geodatabase. However one of the directories containing the FGDB has a unicode character in it and this results in the following error.

UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 21: ordinal not in range(128)

Is there some setting I can enable that will allow for usage of unicode characters in FGDB paths?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Best practice is to never use characters other than the letters of the alphabet, Underscore "_" and numbers.  And to NOT use a space

You will consistently have issues using Unicode characters less than "A" or greater than "z"

Your best answer is to fix the issue by correcting the name of the File Geodatabase.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Best practice is to never use characters other than the letters of the alphabet, Underscore "_" and numbers.  And to NOT use a space

You will consistently have issues using Unicode characters less than "A" or greater than "z"

Your best answer is to fix the issue by correcting the name of the File Geodatabase.