GDAL in ArcGIS 10.4

05-13-2017 12:33 PM
MichL
by
New Contributor II

I am using Desktop version 10.4 and need to create a script (I want to use modelbuilder, if possible) using both GDAL and ArcPy.  I see some indication online that it is possible to use GDAL in ArcGIS, but I cannot locate where to download the proper files from.  I have a standalone version of GDAL (version 2.1.3) already on my computer, but don't know if this is enough for it to work in ArcGIS (I'd assume not) or if I need some kind of add-in or something.  Perhaps 10.4 already has GDAL integrated in it??  That would be ideal, but I would guess it doesn't.

I'm looking for something that is already built, I'm not saavy enough to build it myself.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what is it you need in gdal?  There are bits and pieces of it installed in all sorts of software (ie some dlls csv files etc).  Also, there are lots of links claiming to be the 'true' method of installing it, but whatever has to be installedhas to enable you to use the same python path used by arcmap. 

( well the usual path in any event....  C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.5....)

PRO's conda management may permit a better environment.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Then there is this thread from last year https://community.esri.com/thread/177786 so some of the bits are there.

MichL
by
New Contributor II

I need to use GDAL to alter a non CF compliant NetCDF file, before I can manipulate it in ArcGIS.  I need to use popular commands such as gdalwarp, gdaltransform, and gdal_translate.  Are those already included??  After that, I need to use additional ArcGIS tools to continue with my analysis of the raster dataset.

I did come across that thread, and based on it, it did imply there was already some out of the box functionality in the ArcGIS software, but I wasn't exactly sure of it.  There was also discussion of a "driver", which I believe is just the GDAL library from GitHub, but that site isn't very intuitive for someone not very familiar with programming.

Actually looking at my bin directory it appears there is something related to GDAL included in ArcGIS 10.4:

location of GDAL in ArcGIS 10.4

Is this the entire GDAL version 1.8 library?

0 Kudos
MichL
by
New Contributor II

I think I just answered my own question:
https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=1eec30bf5fa042a5a2227b094db89441 

So the functionality I need looks like it's already included, right?? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That is old and for 10.1, I would do a proper install from source

0 Kudos
MichL
by
New Contributor II

So are you saying that the gdal18.dll file that comes installed with 10.4 (in the image I supplied from windows explorer) was carried over from 10.1??

0 Kudos