Flip subset of lines using arcpy.FlipLine_edit in a Python script

Jump to solution
03-12-2014 09:45 AM
DarrenMcCormick
New Contributor
In a Python script I can't seem to get FlipLine_edit to work on a selected set of lines contained within a shapefile. Unfortunately, all of the lines are getting flipped instead of just those that are selected.

Steps I am using (note code snippet pasted below, full script attached):

1. Create a layer using MakeFeatureLayer

2. Count all lines using GetCount (report result with print statement)

3. Select a subset of lines using SelectLayerByAttribute

4. Count selected lines using GetCount (report result with print statement)

5. Attempt to change direction of selected lines using FlipLine_edit

arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(shpLine, "lyrLines") strCountAll = str(arcpy.GetCount_management("lyrLines")) print "Count of all features is " + strCountAll arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("lyrLines", "NEW_SELECTION", '"Flip_yn" = \'yes\'') strCountSelected = str(arcpy.GetCount_management("lyrLines")) print "Count of selected features is " + strCountSelected arcpy.FlipLine_edit(shpLine) arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("lyrLines", "CLEAR_SELECTION") 

In ArcMap, when using the Flip Line tool contained within Editing Tools:

• No lines selected: all lines will be flipped

• One line selected: the selected line will be flipped

FYI: I have 64-bit Windows 7 with ArcGIS 10.1 (ArcInfo license) and both Python 2.7.2 and Pythonwin (both 2.7.2)

I also tried using FlipLine using arcpy.da.UpdateCursor, but individual lines were not being flipped this way either.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
In a Python script I can't seem to get FlipLine_edit to work on a selected set of lines contained within a shapefile. Unfortunately, all of the lines are getting flipped instead of just those that are selected.

arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(shpLine, "lyrLines") strCountAll = str(arcpy.GetCount_management("lyrLines")) print "Count of all features is " + strCountAll arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("lyrLines", "NEW_SELECTION", '"Flip_yn" = \'yes\'') strCountSelected = str(arcpy.GetCount_management("lyrLines")) print "Count of selected features is " + strCountSelected arcpy.FlipLine_edit(shpLine) arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management("lyrLines", "CLEAR_SELECTION") 

FYI: I have 64-bit Windows 7 with ArcGIS 10.1 (ArcInfo license) and both Python 2.7.2 and Pythonwin (both 2.7.2)

I also tried using FlipLine using arcpy.da.UpdateCursor, but individual lines were not being flipped this way either.

Your code is flipping every line because you are feeding the FlipLine_edit tool the shapefile (shpLine) directly, not the layer with the selection ("lyrLines").  It is flipping the shapefile on disk itself like it is being done from ArcCatalog, not from a Desktop layer.  Try feeding it the "lyrLines" layer instead.  Only layers contain selections, not shapefile objects themselves.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Your code is flipping every line because you are feeding the FlipLine_edit tool the shapefile (shpLine) directly, not the layer with the selection ("lyrLines").  It is flipping the shapefile on disk itself like it is being done from ArcCatalog, not from a Desktop layer.  Try feeding it the "lyrLines" layer instead.  Only layers contain selections, not shapefile objects themselves.
0 Kudos
DarrenMcCormick
New Contributor
Hi Richard:

The info in your reply post solved the problem. I should have known this - doh!

Thanks so much!

-Darren
0 Kudos