flip selected line using python stand-alone window

11-02-2013 08:58 AM
HollyZhang1
New Contributor III
I am trying to flip selected pipelines using stand-alone python window. Below are the steps I used:

1). line join attributes from other tables (MakeFeatureLayer, AddJoin);
   2). select lines based on the joined attributes (SelectLayerByAttribute);
   3). remove joins (RemoveJoin);
   4). flip line on the selected lines (FlipLine_edit with or without MakeFeatureLayer after the selection).

It is shown the same error:

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Workspace or data source is read only.
Failed to execute (FlipLine).

Anyone has any solution?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I am trying to flip selected pipelines using stand-alone python window. Below are the steps I used:

1). line join attributes from other tables (MakeFeatureLayer, AddJoin);
   2). select lines based on the joined attributes (SelectLayerByAttribute);
   3). remove joins (RemoveJoin);
   4). flip line on the selected lines (FlipLine_edit with or without MakeFeatureLayer after the selection).

It is shown the same error:

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
Failed to execute (FlipLine).

Anyone has any solution?

Thanks.

Can you post your actual script?  What is the line data source?  Is it SDE?  Is it a geometric network?  What license level do you have?  How many features are you trying to flip at one time?  I found it crashes if I try to flip too many at one time (more than about 10,000).  Did you use code like this for the flipline section?

import arcpy
try:
    arcpy.FlipLine_edit(inFeatures)
except Exception, e:
    # If an error occurred, print line number and error message
    import traceback, sys
    tb = sys.exc_info()[2]
    print "Line %i" % tb.tb_lineno
    print e.message
0 Kudos
HollyZhang1
New Contributor III
I am using the testing data in a file deodatabase. It is not a geometric network. The features are about 2000 to flip at one time. I use code exactly like this.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I am using the testing data in a file deodatabase. It is not a geometric network. The features are about 2000 to flip at one time. I use code exactly like this.

Is the fc open in a  map?  Have you tried editing manually?  Are you sure you have access to the workspace you used?  Post your method of getting the fc into your code.
0 Kudos
HollyZhang1
New Contributor III
It does work good in ArcMap. I tried several times running the stand-alone python. They were all failure. Very lucky, I just got this time successful. Thanks.
0 Kudos
DarrenMcCormick
New Contributor
Holly:

In a Python script I can't seem to get FlipLine_edit to work on a selected set of lines contained within a shapefile. Unfortunately, all of the lines are getting flipped instead of just those that are selected.

Did you get FlipLine_edit to work through a Python script on a selected line or set of selected lines? If you were successful with this, could you post (with code) what you did?

Thanks!
0 Kudos