Finding Duplicates

05-03-2012 10:08 AM
JasonBoothe
New Contributor
Hey folks, I don't mean to beat a dead horse being that i have seen this discussed before, but here is my issue. I am having to merge two sets of property records, the records overlap for about 10 months worth, so i need to weed through them find the duplicate records, verify they are duplicates, and correct accordingly. I have seen code on here that will mark in a designate field all occurrences of a duplicate record with a designated string, however i have not been able to get that python script to work (4021 ArcGIS 10 Pre Release finding duplicates). So in the mean time i am left using Knowledge base solution 31854 which works great if my dupes came only in sets of 2. So any other ideas, or am i missing something here. And just a FYI, i am very green when it comes to Python and scripting in ArcGIS outside of Find Attribute Queries. Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Have you discovered Find Identical and Delete Identical in the Data Management toolbox?
0 Kudos
JasonBoothe
New Contributor
I have, unfortunately my use of it is restricted due to a licensing issue beyond my control.
0 Kudos
StephenKruzik
New Contributor III
taken from: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/4021-ArcGIS-10-Pre-Release-finding-duplicates

As long as you have the tables joined together so that everything is one dataset...

Calculate field, and choose the python parser and in the pre-logic:

[HTML]uniqueList = []
def isDuplicate(inValue):
  if inValue in uniqueList:
    return 1
  else:
    uniqueList.append(inValue)
    return 0[/HTML]

then in the calculate field:

[HTML]isDuplicate(!FIELD_NAME!)[/HTML]
0 Kudos
JasonBoothe
New Contributor
Thanks Stephen,

This sort of works for what i need it to do, i'll just have to add an additional step in the process to finalize verification of the records prior to removal.
0 Kudos
NobbirAhmed
Esri Regular Contributor
The licensing restriction is loosened a bit - if you use one attribute field at a time (except for Shape field) then Find Identical tool works on all license levels.
0 Kudos