Export tool parameters of custom toolbox

07-15-2016 07:22 AM
JesseBellora1
New Contributor

Does anybody know a py script that will export all the tool parameters of a custom built toolbox? It would be ideal to have it in the form of

Tool Name (And Toolset name?)  - Parameter 1, Parameter 2, Parameter 3, etc.

I should also note that the toolbox contains toolsets and sub toolsets nested within and I'd like to just generate a list of all the tools and their parameters.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

probably not as clean as you want but you can export the toolbox and/or tool properties to an htm/html file for posterity

toolbox_doc_to_html1.png

toolbox_doc_to_html.png

See the attached html... ps, I put absolutely no effort in documenting this

JesseBellora1
New Contributor

Thanks Dan,

I was aware of that but the issue is that we have many tools nested within toolsets in the toolbox. When I export the toolbox properties to an html, it only exports the toolsets but I can not see the tools within them or the tools parameters.

I could right click>export properties for every tool but that would take just as long as looking at each tools parameters individually.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Yes... I realize that, I haven't seen a python access point to what you want (maybe arcobjects... who knows) and I would weight development time against time spent actually doing it.  If you had to do this day in day out, it would be nice.  I don't mind doing it manually since I can create a folder structure to match the toolbox/toolset/tools hierarchy and put the html files in there.  Good luck on the search