Error when referencing user-owned sde versions in Python

Jump to solution
11-06-2018 12:26 PM
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to get a list of current SQL Server SDE versions so that I can then loop through these versions to get a count of features in each version. I believe the error that I get (below) may be a formatting error due to the backslashes and/or quotation marks in non-DBO-owned versions, but I cannot figure out a solution. Help?

Code:

import arcpy,os
from arcpy import env

arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

python_connection = r"Database Connections\inv2018_python.sde"
arcpy.env.workspace = python_connection
arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management("DNA_18","lyr_DNA_18")

# Get a list of versions
versions = arcpy.ListVersions(python_connection)
print versions

for version in versions:
    print version
    # change to this version
    arcpy.ChangeVersion_management("lyr_DNA_18","TRANSACTIONAL", version)
    # update feature layer to reference this new version
    # print a count of features in the feature layer
    print arcpy.GetCount_management("lyr_DNA_18")

Python Interpreter:

>>>
[u'dbo.DEFAULT', u'DBO.QA', u'DBO.EDITS', u'"ISP\\TOBY".TR_Edits', u'DBO.DNA_EDITS', u'"ISP\\MANDERSON".MA', u'"ISP\\BRIAN".BO', u'"ISP\\PLAILIKITNONT".PL', u'DBO.SC', u'"ISP\\JEANNE".jeanne']
dbo.DEFAULT
DBO.QA
DBO.EDITS
"ISP\TOBY".TR_Edits
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<module1>", line 17, in <module>
  File "c:\program files (x86)\arcgis\desktop10.3\ArcPy\arcpy\management.py", line 16043, in ChangeVersion
    raise e
ExecuteError: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
ERROR 000800: The value is not a member of ISP\BRIAN | .BO | ISP\JEANNE | .jeanne | ISP\MANDERSON | .MA | ISP\PLAILIKITNONT | .PL | ISP\TOBY | .TR_Edits | dbo.DEFAULT | DBO.DNA_EDITS | DBO.EDITS | DBO.QA | DBO.SC.
Failed to execute (ChangeVersion).

>>>

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

ESRI Support got back to me: "We were able to determine that the behavior you are experiencing where the version string for an OS authenticated user appears to be split between the username and version name in the Change Version tool, is a known software defect in ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.1 to and 10.3.1. The issue persists when using the tool in Python script where such versions do not get parsed in correctly. The good news is that the bug was fixed in version 10.4 ..."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I've taken the liberty of copying and pasting your code into the python Syntax Highlighter....

import arcpy,os
from arcpy import env
arcpy.env.overwriteOutput = True

python_connection = r"Database Connections\inv2018_python.sde"
arcpy.env.workspace = python_connection

# Get a list of versions
versions = arcpy.ListVersions(python_connection)
print versions

for version in versions:
    print version
    # change to this version
    arcpy.ChangeVersion_management("lyr_DNA_18","TRANSACTIONAL", version)
    # update feature layer to reference this new version
    # print a count of features in the feature layer 
    print arcpy.GetCount_management("lyr_DNA_18")

This looks like a new arcpy method in ArcGIS Pro, and I haven't played with it at all yet, but at least you get to see how the syntax highlighter works....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, that's pretty. Now if we can just get it to work!

0 Kudos
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

Here you can see that when using Change Version in ModelBuilder, the names of all non-DBO versions are split in two, rendering them non-functional. Perhaps the fact that our network domain ("ISP") preceeds our usernames is causing the problem, since all version names are split into "ISP\username" and .versionname.

0 Kudos
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

Here you can see how the Change Version parameters look in Model Builder. It has separated, rendering incorrect, all non-DBO owned version names into Domain\Username and .VersionName. I'm at a loss how to fix this.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

From the help:  Each input feature layer or table view will have its workspace modified to connect to the requested version.  So, what is the practical application of this tool?  I guess I just don't get it.....

0 Kudos
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

This is the first step of a more complex code I've written to check for specific edits of concern prior to automating nightly reconcile, post and delete of child versions. If I cannot figure out a way to loop through existing child versions, I will not be able to automate this process as I'd intended.

IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

ESRI Support got back to me: "We were able to determine that the behavior you are experiencing where the version string for an OS authenticated user appears to be split between the username and version name in the Change Version tool, is a known software defect in ArcGIS for Desktop 10.2.1 to and 10.3.1. The issue persists when using the tool in Python script where such versions do not get parsed in correctly. The good news is that the bug was fixed in version 10.4 ..."

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

That's a really weird response: the only way I find a reference for it is the ArcGIS Pro help.  No mention of it in earlier versions...

0 Kudos
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos