Error 010240 - Cost Path Tool Python

Jump to solution
12-07-2021 11:49 AM
NathanShelley
New Contributor
Hi so I am trying to do a least-cost-path analysis using Arcpy and I am trying to save the Cost Path raster
but I keep getting this error with the final line of the cost path tool. If I take out the save portion I am able to
convert it to a polyline, but I need data from the result. I used model builder to develop the script and only made
minor changes to some of the file paths. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Error:
RuntimeError: ERROR 010240: Could not save raster dataset to C:\Users\doc34\Desktop\LCP_Project-20211206T164053Z-001\LCP_Project\CostPath_Raster with output format GRID.

Code:
# Process: Cost Path (Cost Path) (sa)

CostPath_Raster = "C:\\Users\\doc34\\Desktop\\LCP_Project-20211206T164053Z-001\\LCP_Project\\CostPath_Raster"
cost_path = CostPath_Raster

CostPath_Raster = arcpy.sa.CostPath(in_destination_data=Geological_Source, in_cost_distance_raster=CostDis_DEM,
in_cost_backlink_raster=BackLink_DEM, path_type="EACH_CELL",
destination_field="",
force_flow_direction_convention="INPUT_RANGE")
# the below code would save the cost-path raster, but throws an error that I have not been able to solve
CostPath_Raster.save(cost_path)
print("Cost Path Raster Complete")

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If this is an esri raster, your output path shouldn't contain spaces or punctuation and the output name is too long (10 chars max I think).

You would be better off saving to a *.tif by adding the file extension to the file name.  *.tif files are recommended by esri for most raster functions

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If this is an esri raster, your output path shouldn't contain spaces or punctuation and the output name is too long (10 chars max I think).

You would be better off saving to a *.tif by adding the file extension to the file name.  *.tif files are recommended by esri for most raster functions

... sort of retired...
NathanShelley
New Contributor

Yep I changed:

CP = "C:\\Users\\doc34\\Desktop\\LCP_Project-20211206T164053Z-001\\LCP_Project\\CostPath_raster"
to
CP = "C:\\Users\\doc34\\Desktop\\LCP_Project-20211206T164053Z-001\\LCP_Project\\CPR"
and it worked!
Thank you

0 Kudos