Error 000433

Jump to solution
11-16-2017 07:47 AM
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

Greetings. I am getting this error when I do a Select_analysis on a polygon feature class. I scoured the web and cannot find a reference to what this means. Trying to write to a feature class that already exists? Below is the code and message. It is crashing on the last line of the code. Thanks.

print "Creating subset of matching input polys..."

arcpy.Select_analysis(InputPolysAll,LocResPolysTemp,"Year = "+Year)
    arcpy.Dissolve_management(LocResPolysTemp,LocResPolys,"LocRes")
    arcpy.AddField_management(LocResPolys,"KEEP","SHORT")
    arcpy.CalculateField_management(LocResPolys,"KEEP","0","PYTHON")
    arcpy.MakeTableView_management(LocResPolys,"LocResPolysAsTableView")
    arcpy.AddJoin_management("LocResPolysAsTableView","LocRes",LocResTableUnique,"LocRes","KEEP_COMMON")
    arcpy.CalculateField_management("LocResPolysAsTableView","KEEP","1","PYTHON")
    arcpy.RemoveJoin_management("LocResPolysAsTableView")
    arcpy.Select_analysis(LocResPolys,LocResPolysMatch, "KEEP = 1")
    print ""

Executing: Select InputPolys_LocRes_YBDTRRS_2017 D:\Users\rowright\Documents\ArcGIS\Default.gdb\MatchPolys_LocRes_YBDTRRS_2017 "KEEP = 1"

Start Time: Thu Nov 16 09:08:24 2017

ERROR 000433: The output must be the same as input

Failed to execute (Select).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

Resolved: I had inadvertently changed the path of the identified workspace by one letter e.g.,

arcpy.env.workspace = r"D:\WildlifeHealth\CWD_2017\GIS\RandomLocWork\Processing.gdb" vs

arcpy.env.workspace = r"D:\WildlifeHealth\CWD_2017\GIS\RandomLocsWork\Processing.gdb".

I am still curious about the error message though. I have never seen it before and was unable to find any reference to it.

Thanks.

Bob

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

could you try to emulate what is shown in the help topic 

where_clause = '"CLASS" = \'4\''

# perhaps

where_clause = '"KEEP" = \'1\''
0 Kudos
bobwright
Occasional Contributor

Resolved: I had inadvertently changed the path of the identified workspace by one letter e.g.,

arcpy.env.workspace = r"D:\WildlifeHealth\CWD_2017\GIS\RandomLocWork\Processing.gdb" vs

arcpy.env.workspace = r"D:\WildlifeHealth\CWD_2017\GIS\RandomLocsWork\Processing.gdb".

I am still curious about the error message though. I have never seen it before and was unable to find any reference to it.

Thanks.

Bob

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

My guess, if it was suppose to read/write from the same folder, and the output was defaulting to the env.workspace (which it couldn't find, so it tried the default .gdb) and the input maybe was explicitly set....it didn't like it.  Typos can cause strange errors if it can't find the path/gdb.  my 2 cents.

0 Kudos