Select to view content in your preferred language

Dictionary issue

02-09-2022 10:13 AM
CCWeedcontrol
Regular Contributor

I have the following script and the issues I am having is that the PermitNum can have multiple Par (par field) numbers but my current script will only populate the Parel field with just one Par attribute, it doesn't transfer each parcel that corresponds with each permit number. How can I adjust my current code to transfer each parcel number?

fc_dest = "D:/Temp/Cases"

sourceFC = "D:/Temp/Casestableview"

#Use Dictionary to update fc fileds.
sourceFieldsList = ['PermitNum','Par','AppS','AppT', 'SubT','Desc', 'MainApp', 'PA', 'Status', 'AppStatus', 'DecDate',]#,'ProjectInfo', 'Contractor', 'Subdivision', 'TwnRngSec', 'LivingSpace', 'TotalSqFt', 'Value_', 'Valuation', 'Status']  

# Use list comprehension to build a dictionary from a da SearchCursor  
valueDict = {r[0]:(r[1:]) for r in arcpy.da.SearchCursor(sourceFC, sourceFieldsList)}  

updateFieldsList = ['PermitNum','Par','AppS','AppT', 'SubT','Descr', 'MainApp', 'PA', 'Status', 'AppStatus', 'DecDate']  

with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(fc_dest, updateFieldsList) as updateRows:  
    for updateRow in updateRows:  
        # store the Join value of the row being updated in a keyValue variable  
        keyValue = updateRow[0]  
        # verify that the keyValue is in the Dictionary  
        if keyValue in valueDict:  
            # transfer the values stored under the keyValue from the dictionary to the updated fields.  
            for n in range (1,len(sourceFieldsList)):  
                updateRow[n] = valueDict[keyValue][n-1]  
            updateRows.updateRow(updateRow) 

del valueDict

Book4 - Excel.png

0 Kudos
23 Replies
CCWeedcontrol
Regular Contributor

My apologies, I might have complicated things. I removed fields to make the files smaller.

I hope this makes sense and thank you so much for trying to help.

The feature class and the table only have the PermitNum field as unique identifiers. I adding fields to the feature class to match the tables fields. So I can transfer attributes from the table to the feature class.The table can have multiple permits with more than one parcel associated with that permit.

For example in the table

PermitNumParcle
CR2020-000534252
CR2020-000534263010
CR2020-000534263012

:

The feature class only has the following the PermitNum.

PermitNumParcel
CR2020-0005 
CR2020-0005 
CR2020-0005 

And when I run the code on my first post I get the following

PermitNumParcel 
CR2020-000534263010 
CR2020-000534263010 
CR2020-000534263010 

I need to transfer the table attributes to the feature class like below.

Feature class after the code

PermitNumParcle
CR2020-000534252
CR2020-000534263010
CR2020-000534263012
0 Kudos
DonMorrison1
Occasional Contributor III

I don't think it is possible to do what your are trying since you don't really have a column with a unique value in either your feature class or table.  So, once again, forget about figuring out how to solve the problem with python for now.  You have to find something in or add something to the data that lets you associate each record in the table with one and only one record in the feature class. Once you have that we can discuss how to make it work using python.

0 Kudos
CCWeedcontrol
Regular Contributor

When you say that I don't have a column with a unique Value, doesn't the OBJECTID in the feature class and table count as unique columns?

0 Kudos
DonMorrison1
Occasional Contributor III

True - but you need a unique value that allows you to link a record in the table with a record in the feature class.  In database terminology it is a foreign key.  It can't be PermitNum since there are duplicates, so it has to be PermitNum plus something else.

0 Kudos