Create Dimension feature through python

07-02-2016 01:46 PM
Dave_J_Zhang
New Contributor

I need to create Dimension feature class and add dimension features to it all through python, I searched internet all over, I could not find any real python samples, when I use arcpy to create feature class it only give me 4 choices, point, line, polygon and multi-point, there is no dimension type available, and I don't know if I try to insert the dimension feature what geometry type I should use, can anyone help?

Any suggestion is appreciate.

Dave

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Well, if you have the 3D analyst, you can at least create features in 3D... for example

3D point features—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  then there is multipatches etc etc.

And in arcpy for example, PointGeometry—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  and Point—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  plus others.

Then there is a temporal dimension as well Create Space Time Cube—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

but if you need dimensions higher than 3D, other dimensions plus 3D, you will need to move to numpy and or netCDF and their kin in terms of data structures.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

PS, you might want to move this to Python​ to pick up the developer traffic

0 Kudos
Dave_J_Zhang
New Contributor

Hi, Don

Thank you for your quick reply. This just a regular 2D map I am developing a python ArcMap add-in tool to drawing some lines on map and would like to add dimension to show the length of the each line like people do in AutoCAD. Any idea? Thanks.

Dave

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ahhhhh .... in Arc parlance, that is called a 'label', far less exciting and readily found in the introductory section on working with maps

Essential labeling concepts—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I would check the help Dan pointed you to, and also the help for COGO labeling.  These talk more about parcel labeling, and so far I have not found a python script for it, but it is a start.

Labeling Parcel Lines with COGO Dimensions | ArcGIS Blog

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)       COGO labeling

Implementing the ArcGIS Parcel Tools Seminar

An overview of the Parcel Fabric toolbox—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop   I'm not sure if this is included in core, or an addin. I have not  used it myself

not Python (that I have found yet)  but looks like maybe arcobject have ways to automate

com.esri.arcgis.editor (ArcObjects Java API)

ArcObjects Help for .NET developers

there are many broken links when searching for the parcel fabric toolbar, but it looks like it is a tool from the local government group  ...lots of free tools

ArcGIS Solutions

(I have a mix of versions above, but might help get you on the right track)