Count number of features inside polygon

Jump to solution
03-19-2020 01:30 PM
CCWeedcontrol
Occasional Contributor III

I need some help on my code to count the number of features inside a polygon. I have the following but after testing it, it doesn't seem to be correct. I am trying to figure out how many parcel lots are within the subdivision boundary. My test show after running the code that the "Stats" table has 9 Frequencies but in actually there is 10 parcels within the subdivision. I have tried "HAVE_THEIR_CENTER_IN" but all the results are 1.

import arcpy, os

mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("current")
df = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd, "Layers")[0]
lyr = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "Taxlots")[0]
subs = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "SubsOutsideCities")[0]
#arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(par, "parLyr")

arcpy.SpatialJoin_analysis(subs, lyr,"in_memory/points_SpatialJoin", "JOIN_ONE_TO_MANY", "KEEP_ALL", "", "CONTAINS")
arcpy.Statistics_analysis("points_SpatialJoin", "in_memory/stats", "Join_Count COUNT","OBJECTID")
‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Perhaps something like:

countFC = 'polygons'  # feature containing outer polygons
countFld = ['ParcelCount', 'SHAPE@'] # ParcelCount is for count results, SHAPE@ is geometry of polygon

parcels = 'parcels' # parcels to be counted

with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(countFC, countFld) as cursor: # cycle through outer polygon layer
    for row in cursor:
        arcpy.management.SelectLayerByLocation(parcels, "HAVE_THEIR_CENTER_IN", row[1], "", "NEW_SELECTION") # row[1] is SHAPE@
        row[0] = int(arcpy.GetCount_management(parcels)[0]) # row[0] to be updated with count
        cursor.updateRow(row) # update row‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your shapes are all singlepart?  If not, run the Multipart to singlepart tool

0 Kudos
CCWeedcontrol

Yes they are all singlepart.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

many to one

one to one

one to many

switch the order of the join

which options did you try?

0 Kudos
CCWeedcontrol

There is only two options for the spatialJoin_analysis, i am not sure what you mean by the other options.

JOIN_ONE_TO_ONE

JOIN_ONE_TO_MANY

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Looks like you are using ArcMap to perform you analysis.  You might try to do it by hand, and then go to the geoprocessing results button; that'll tell what ArcMap just did for you and you can use that in your python coding.  I do that all the time with tools in Pro.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
CCWeedcontrol

I have tried that and get the same results.

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

Perhaps something like:

countFC = 'polygons'  # feature containing outer polygons
countFld = ['ParcelCount', 'SHAPE@'] # ParcelCount is for count results, SHAPE@ is geometry of polygon

parcels = 'parcels' # parcels to be counted

with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(countFC, countFld) as cursor: # cycle through outer polygon layer
    for row in cursor:
        arcpy.management.SelectLayerByLocation(parcels, "HAVE_THEIR_CENTER_IN", row[1], "", "NEW_SELECTION") # row[1] is SHAPE@
        row[0] = int(arcpy.GetCount_management(parcels)[0]) # row[0] to be updated with count
        cursor.updateRow(row) # update row‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
CCWeedcontrol

Randy I was able to get to work, thanks for the help.

import arcpy

mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument("current")
df = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd, "Layers")[0]
lyr = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "Taxlots")[0]
subs = arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd, "SubsOutsideCities")[0]
#arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(par, "parLyr")

with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(subs, ["VxCount1", "Shape@"]) as cursor: # cycle through outer polygon layer
    for row in cursor:
        arcpy.management.SelectLayerByLocation(lyr, "HAVE_THEIR_CENTER_IN", row[1]) # row[1] is SHAPE@
        row[0] = int(arcpy.GetCount_management(lyr)[0]) # row[0] to be updated with count
        cursor.updateRow(row) # update row
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

save the result to disk, and open the table showing the OBJECTID for the join count.

click on every feature in turn and see if one of the features is actually 2 parts, or one feature is partially on top of the other