Convert Decimals Degrees to Floating Point UTMS.

07-11-2019 10:32 AM
BenjaminZandarski
New Contributor II

I have coordinates in decimal degrees in one table. I need to convert them to UTMs in another table. I can use

arcpy.ConvertCoordinateNoatation_management(input, output, geoLat, geoLong, "DD_2", "UTM ZONES").

This gives me the UTMS and I can index them to place them in a northing and easting column. The problem is the other table that I need to put these in has UTM coordinates as a floating point number. Is there a simple way to get the UTMs as a floating point number from the Decimal Degree Coordinates?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Once you get the UTM coordinates, how are you then updating the other table?  Once you have a 'number' you can cast it to what ever type you need.  See https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/python_numbers

Psuedo code:

NorthingInNewTable = float(NorthingUTM)
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
BenjaminZandarski
New Contributor II

Thanks for the help. The problem is I have a set of coordinates in decimal degrees when I run the ConvertCoordinateNoatation tool it returns the UTMs as a string  (e.g 13N6046424148283). I need this to be in 2 columns. (e.g coordinateX = 604642.396 coordinateY =4148283.7975) for every point in my table. I can get the UTMs by parsing the string that is returned by  the ConvertCoordinateNoatation tool but I cannot get the precision as this is not returned by the ConvertCoordinateNoatation tool. Is there another tool or better way to do this in Python.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Nothing that I can think of off hand... What if... (and this might be quite the work around):

Take your DD table and add it as an XY event Table.

Save that as feature class

Add two float attributes, UTM_X , UTM_Y

Use the Calculate Geometry calculator accordingly

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Add Geometry Attributes—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

You just need to specify the coordinate system that you want