Compare two tables field values using wildcard

Jump to solution
01-12-2018 01:28 AM
Per_Olav_Kaasa
New Contributor II

Hello, I'm currently working with one feature class table containing 400 000 objects and one database table containing 700 objects.  I'm currently working in ArcMap 10.4 and using a Geodatabase with Python 2.7. What I'm trying to do is match the database table containing 700 objects against the FC. What I want is to match them, treating all 700 objects as wildcars %700 ojects%, and match those towards the FC that contains text from the table.  I have 2 tables with 1 column in each that im trying to match. I have not yet found a good way to treat all rows in a column as wildcard to search against another column. 

This is my code so far. This only will print out what the database table values. Next i wanted to get the FC values and compare them. I've read about maybe using a dictionary to make it easier to extract values but I've yet to figure out how.

import arcpy, unicodedata, datetime, openpyxl 
arcpy.env.workspace =r"C:\Users\kaaper\Documents\DataDrivenPages\DataDrivenPages.gdb"

def rows_as_dicts(cursor):
    colnames = cursor.fields
    for row in cursor:
        yield dict(zip(colnames, row)

with arcpy.da.SearchCursor(r"C:\Users\kaaper\Documents\DataDrivenPages\DataDrivenPages.gdb\Ordbok", '*') as sc:
    for row in rows_as_dicts(sc):
        print row['field']‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Any input will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
42 Replies
Per_Olav_Kaasa
New Contributor II

Thank you very much, that did exactly what I needed. And I see that the new code had to be implemented where I thought it would be, but I must admit I haven't used validate that much with other tools in python. Is it just to check if the results from the tool is readable or that it gets data from the process?  

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad it worked for you. In the code I provided "validate" is just a string for each element of the dictionary of strings to match to the annotation. It is different from for instance a validation class that could be used for scripting tools in a toolbox. In that case it executes a validation before running the tool.

In the case above validate could be replaced by any other variable name and this is what it does:

• Line 39 used the istitle method of the string. It validates if the word starts with a capital character or not
  • line 41, if it does start with a capital character, it will check the start of the string using the startswith method of the string if if a match is found it added it to the list of matches on line 42
  • Line 43, if the string does not start with a capital it enters here
  • Line 45, the text is validated to see if it ends with the search string and if it does, the string is added to the list of matches in line 46
FranciscoCosta1
Occasional Contributor

While there are many ways to do this, it is important here to address what are the best in terms of performance.

So in this case it is recommended:

i) run SQL with an ORM like SQLAlchemy or Peewee

ii) use numpy conversion (which is internally like sql of some sorts) accordingly 

0 Kudos