Cloned Environment broken after updating to 2.4

Jump to solution
07-23-2019 08:14 AM
JamesBurton1
Occasional Contributor

I updated to 2.4 a couple weeks ago and yesterday I went to use the python window and I kept getting errors. Then I go to the Python Package Manager and find that my cloned environment is 'broken' and now after deleting that bad environment I can't clone my default environment. It fails every time, even if I change the install location. Anyone having this issue? I know it has been a problem with previous updates as well. Personally, I am so sick of troubleshooting python environments and trying to get Spyder to actually run code. I deal with this every time I try and do some automation. It's getting ridiculous.

16 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

After updating to 2.5, my 2.4.3 clone is still there, but ArcGIS Pro doesn't recognize it....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Was Pro updated to 2.5 automatically outside of your control before you could test whether the upgrade breaks your cloned python environment?

0 Kudos
EugenioArima
New Contributor III

My experience so far with updates is that you can still run all your cloned installations using an editor (e.g. Spyder) but ArcGIS Pro does not recognize your clone anymore (the red octagon with exclamation point). So essentially I am using the "old" version of Arcpro when scripting/programming. It's just a pain in the neck to delete the old clone, create a new clone, and install all the packages you want every time there is an update.

0 Kudos
jblng
by
New Contributor III

I am also having this issue in 2.6, and had the same issue as OP. Seems to be that you have to re-create the clone every time you update.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Jo Belanger‌; You will need to re-clone at every release update.  I don't think you need to for the incremental updates like 2.6 to 2.6.1.  Personally I typically wait for a full version release before I upgrade but that's just me.  There are a few threads about the 2.6 upgrade and cloning problems such as this one of mine.  Not sure what the problem was but it took a few tries to get the clone straightened out.  

That should just about do it....
PhilLarkin1
Occasional Contributor III

Clones are worthless after a 2.4 -> 2.6 upgrade.

0 Kudos
MrGIS
by
New Contributor

You just need to copy _arcgisscripting.pyd from site packages in the new default environment to your broken cloned environment.

0 Kudos