Can not create a feature service from shapfile

Jump to solution
02-13-2014 02:57 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: kareem.morsy

Hello there

I have installed Portal for GIS 10.2.1 and i have windows authentication configured to access the Portal. I have Federated my Portal with ArcGIS server 10.2.1 and i have also added it as a hosting server which has a managed sde database

I have added a CSV file to my content and i was able to publish it as a feature service. and i am able to see the features on the map . and the data at my sde oracle database.

I have tried to add a valid geometry  shapefile directly to the map but i get this error

"Unable to import this shapefile. (Generate Features error: Server tool execution failed : ERROR 999999: Error executing function. No shape file found in item. Failed to execute (Generate Features for Portal). Failed.)"

I have tried to add the same shape file to my content and publish it as a feature service. but the service is never created.

I have check ArcGIS Server Logs and it says

• Error executing tool.: ERROR 999999: Error executing function. No shape file found in item. Failed to execute (Publish Portal Service)

• Unable to process request. Service Hosted/Tempo/MapServer not found

• No shape file found in item.

I have tried to add the same shapefile to the ArcGIS Online and it works perfectly fine as well as the feature service.

Request your support on this issue.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jhboyle

Hello Ravi

Thanks for your reply. Yes the .zip file contains all the 5 files. I have even uploaded it successfully to ArcGIS online. but it is not working with the portal for GIS.

Thanks

make sure the .zip file does not have the 5 files nested in a folder, this is the default way windows creates .zips. 

ie..

[INDENT]file.zip
[INDENT]file
[INDENT]the 5 files[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

is wrong

[INDENT]file.zip
[INDENT]the 5 files[/INDENT][/INDENT]

is right.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ravi

Hi Kareem,

It appears the item uploaded does not contain a shapefile in the format that is expected.  Shapefiles must be compressed as a .zip file containing .shp, .shx, .dbf, and .prj files. can you confirm if you are doing this?

(http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//019300000085000000)
0 Kudos
KareemMorsy
New Contributor
Hello Ravi

Thanks for your reply. Yes the .zip file contains all the 5 files. I have even uploaded it successfully to ArcGIS online. but it is not working with the portal for GIS.

Thanks
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Ravi

Thanks

make sure the .zip file does not have the 5 files nested in a folder, this is the default way windows creates .zips. 

ie..

[INDENT]file.zip
[INDENT]file
[INDENT]the 5 files[/INDENT][/INDENT][/INDENT]

is wrong

[INDENT]file.zip
[INDENT]the 5 files[/INDENT][/INDENT]

is right.
0 Kudos
KareemMorsy
New Contributor
Hello Jacob

Two Thank you. one for your reply. and another one because this worked perfectly fine. but i am confused why the same old file works on the ArcGIS Online.

I had to do two more changes to ArcGIS Server Security Configuration in order to make it work.

C:\arcgisserver\config-store\security\security-config.json

"securityEnabled": false,
"sslEnabled": false,

Because every time i am asked for a token even if i made it last longer.

but anyways Thanks guys for your help.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

yeah, i'm not sure why either...

when i was troubleshooting another issue, i mentioned it to the analyst and he suggested that might be the underlying issue with the imports.
0 Kudos