Automating custom Arc Tool

Jump to solution
04-16-2018 09:22 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello. 

I have created a custom ArcGIS tool, and need to automate this tool so that it can be scheduled to run weekly outside of ArcMap.

Right now, I have a version of the tool that runs inside of an ArcMap session, with the input table and target feature class as user defined parameters.

Here is the code that I have so far.

My Try/Except block is commented out for testing purposes.

The goal is that the script will join an SDE view table to a GDB feature class, select based on some criteria, calculate some fields, than remove the join. Works great as a tool, but getting it to work outside of that has proven impossible so far.

Thanks for any help!

import arcpy, sys, string, os, subprocess

gca = vca = "Conservation_Area_Name"
gcn = vcn = "Conservation_Area_Number"
gn = vn = "Network"

gfi = "Field_ID"
gai = "Asset_ID"
gt1n = "Tier_1_System_Name"
gt1t = "Tier_1_System_Type"
gt2n = "Tier_2_Major_Subsystem_Name"
gt2t = "Tier_2_Major_Subsystem_Type"
gt3n = "Tier_3_Minor_Subsystem_Name"
gt3t = "Tier_3_Minor_Subsystem_Type"
gt4n = "Asset_Name"

vfi = "FieldID"
vai = "AssetID"
vt1n = "Tier_1_Name"
vt1t = "Tier_1_Type"
vt2n = "Tier_2_Name"
vt2t = "Tier_2_Type"
vt3n = "Tier_3_Name"
vt3t = "Tier_3_Type"
vt4n = "Tier_4_Name"

gdfcin = r'C:\Projects\MDC\DataUpdate_20180315\MDC_PhysModel_FieldID_20180315.gdb\Exterior_Electrical\Phase_Converter_Exterior'
gdfc = gdfcin.split('\\')[-1]

vwfcin = r'C:\Users\rbasaria\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.4\ArcCatalog\MDCTest_1025.sde\MDCTest_1025.dbo.ViewETL_FacilityType_PhaseConverterExterior'
vwfc = vwfcin.split('\\')[-1]

slct = gdfc+"."+gai+" IS NULL OR ("+gdfc+"."+gai+" <> "+vwfc+"."+vai+")"

#try:
arcpy.AddJoin_management(gdfcin, gfi, vwfcin, vfi)
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(gdfcin, "NEW_SELECTION", slct)
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfcin, gdfc+"."+gai, "["+vwfc+"."+vai+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfcin, gdfc+"."+gca, "["+vwfc+"."+vca+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfcin, gdfc+"."+gcn, "["+vwfc+"."+vcn+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfcin, gdfc+"."+gn, "["+vwfc+"."+vn+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfcin, gdfc+"."+gt1n, "["+vwfc+"."+vt1n+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfcin, gdfc+"."+gt1t, "["+vwfc+"."+vt1t+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfcin, gdfc+"."+gt2n, "["+vwfc+"."+vt2n+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfcin, gdfc+"."+gt2t, "["+vwfc+"."+vt2t+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfcin, gdfc+"."+gt3n, "["+vwfc+"."+vt3n+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfcin, gdfc+"."+gt3t, "["+vwfc+"."+vt3t+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfcin, gdfc+"."+gt4n, "["+vwfc+"."+vt4n+"]", "VB", "")
#except:
#    print arcpy.GetMessages()

arcpy.RemoveJoin_management(gdfcin)
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(gdfcin, "CLEAR_SELECTION", "")
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well, it looks like its working now!

Combination of the Make Feature Layer and Make Table View got this thing grabbing the right data, then I had an issue with my slct variable (which I know works)...which turned out to be the vwfc variable not having the "MDCTest_1025.dbo.ViewETL_FacilityType_" info before the table name.

Appreciate all the help, and its always a good day when I can learn something new!

import arcpy, sys, string, os, subprocess

gca = vca = "Conservation_Area_Name"
gcn = vcn = "Conservation_Area_Number"
gn = vn = "Network"

gfi = "Field_ID"
gai = "Asset_ID"
gt1n = "Tier_1_System_Name"
gt1t = "Tier_1_System_Type"
gt2n = "Tier_2_Major_Subsystem_Name"
gt2t = "Tier_2_Major_Subsystem_Type"
gt3n = "Tier_3_Minor_Subsystem_Name"
gt3t = "Tier_3_Minor_Subsystem_Type"
gt4n = "Asset_Name"

vfi = "FieldID"
vai = "AssetID"
vt1n = "Tier_1_Name"
vt1t = "Tier_1_Type"
vt2n = "Tier_2_Name"
vt2t = "Tier_2_Type"
vt3n = "Tier_3_Name"
vt3t = "Tier_3_Type"
vt4n = "Tier_4_Name"

gdfc = "Phase_Converter_Exterior"
gdfcin = arcpy.MakeFeatureLayer_management(r'C:\Projects\MDC\DataUpdate_20180315\MDC_PhysModel_FieldID_20180315.gdb\Exterior_Electrical\Phase_Converter_Exterior', gdfc)

vwfc = "MDCTest_1025.dbo.ViewETL_FacilityType_PhaseConverterExterior"
vwfcin = arcpy.MakeTableView_management(r'C:\Users\rbasaria\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.4\ArcCatalog\MDCTest_1025.sde\MDCTest_1025.dbo.ViewETL_FacilityType_PhaseConverterExterior', vwfc)

slct = gdfc+"."+gai+" IS NULL OR ("+gdfc+"."+gai+" <> "+vwfc+"."+vai+")"

#try:
arcpy.AddJoin_management(gdfc, gfi, vwfc, vfi)
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(gdfc, "NEW_SELECTION", slct)
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfc, gdfc+"."+gai, "["+vwfc+"."+vai+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfc, gdfc+"."+gca, "["+vwfc+"."+vca+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfc, gdfc+"."+gcn, "["+vwfc+"."+vcn+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfc, gdfc+"."+gn, "["+vwfc+"."+vn+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfc, gdfc+"."+gt1n, "["+vwfc+"."+vt1n+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfc, gdfc+"."+gt1t, "["+vwfc+"."+vt1t+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfc, gdfc+"."+gt2n, "["+vwfc+"."+vt2n+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfc, gdfc+"."+gt2t, "["+vwfc+"."+vt2t+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfc, gdfc+"."+gt3n, "["+vwfc+"."+vt3n+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfc, gdfc+"."+gt3t, "["+vwfc+"."+vt3t+"]", "VB", "")
arcpy.CalculateField_management(gdfc, gdfc+"."+gt4n, "["+vwfc+"."+vt4n+"]", "VB", "")
#except:
#    print arcpy.GetMessages()

arcpy.RemoveJoin_management(gdfc)
arcpy.SelectLayerByAttribute_management(gdfc, "CLEAR_SELECTION", "")

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You want to run a 'scheduled task'

There are links on GeoNet if you search using that key phrase, plus options in the help topics

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/arcpy/get-started/installing-python-for-arcgis-pro.htm

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/analysis/geoprocessing/modelbuilder/scheduling-a-model-run.htm

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was planning on using windows task scheduler for that part. But this isn't really the issue...

The issue is getting the script to work outside of an ArcMap session. Right now, it doesn't seem to want to recognize the feature class and table that I am pointing to.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

reference the featureclass and table on disk and not the layer or table view in the project

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's what my script is currently trying to do, and seems to be failing at. Right now, it crashes at the AddJoin function, telling me that the parameters are not valid and that the value cannot be a feature class.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Projects\MDC\DataUpdate_20180315\MDC_ViewtoGIS_Automated.py", line 36, in <module>
arcpy.AddJoin_management(gdfcin, gfi, vwfcin, vfi)
File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.4\ArcPy\arcpy\management.py", line 6066, in AddJoin
raise e
ExecuteError: Failed to execute. Parameters are not valid.
The value cannot be a feature class
ERROR 000840: The value is not a Raster Layer.
ERROR 000840: The value is not a Raster Catalog Layer.
ERROR 000840: The value is not a Mosaic Layer.
WARNING 000970: The join field Field_ID in the join table Phase_Converter_Exterior is not indexed. To improve performance, we recommend that an index be created for the join field in the join table.
Failed to execute (AddJoin).

0 Kudos
JamesMacKay3
Occasional Contributor

While some geoprocessing tools accept both datasets as well as feature layers, others require a layer - and Add Join is one of them.  First call the Make Feature Layer tool on the input, then use the output of that tool as input to Add Join.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting! I did not know that. Will try and report back.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

The vwfcin looks like it's being set to a named user directory?  If this is not related to the current problem you are experiencing, my guess is that it will be a problem later on if setting this to run as a scheduled task.  Also, is "Exterior_Electrical" a Feature Dataset in the gdb?  You may have to go ahead and re-work those path references using os.path.join()

You may want to just eliminate anything like this for now and simply hardcode the value.

gdfc = gdfcin.split('\\')[-1]
0 Kudos