Automating an Export of a Report

03-10-2016 10:46 AM
DavidBuehler
Occasional Contributor III

The goal is run a report via python script periodically via a scheduled task. If there is a better method for scheduling I am all ears, but the crux of my issue is getting the python script to run outside of ArcMap.  It runs fine within ArcMap, but as a standalone script it throws errors.  Below is my code and an image of what errors it giving me.  Any help is much appreciated.

import arcpy
import sys  
import traceback  
mxd = arcpy.mapping.MapDocument(r"C:\ESRITest\NewGeoReportingSystem\GeoReportingGC.mxd")
try:
  df = arcpy.mapping.ListDataFrames(mxd)[0]
  for lyr in arcpy.mapping.ListLayers(mxd,"",df):
  if lyr.name == "Concerns":
  arcpy.mapping.ExportReport(lyr,r"C:\ESRITest\NewGeoReportingSystem\GRS_GeneralReport.rlf",r"C:\ESRITest\NewGeoReportingSystem\GeneralReport.pdf")
except arcpy.ExecuteError:   
    # Get the tool error messages   
    msgs = arcpy.GetMessages(2)   

# Return tool error messages for use with a script tool   
    arcpy.AddError(msgs)   

# Print tool error messages for use in Python/PythonWin   
    print msgs  

except:  
    # Get the traceback object  
    tb = sys.exc_info()[2]  
    tbinfo = traceback.format_tb(tb)[0]  

# Concatenate information together concerning the error into a message string  
    pymsg = "PYTHON ERRORS:\nTraceback info:\n" + tbinfo + "\nError Info:\n" + str(sys.exc_info()[1])  
    msgs = "ArcPy ERRORS:\n" + arcpy.GetMessages(2) + "\n"  

# Return python error messages for use in script tool or Python Window  
    arcpy.AddError(pymsg)  
    arcpy.AddError(msgs)  

# Print Python error messages for use in Python / Python Window  
    print pymsg + "\n"  
    print msgs  
finally:  
    del mxd

PythonQuestion.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is it an indent issue (not sure if it's just the Geonet forum formatting or if it's how you have it in your code)?  There doesn't appear to be a required indent after your if statement:

Change this

arcpy.mapping.ExportReport(lyr,r"C:\ESRITest\NewGeoReportingSystem\GRS_GeneralReport.rlf",r"C:\ESRITest\NewGeoReportingSystem\GeneralReport.pdf") 

To this

0 Kudos
DavidBuehler

Hi James,

I think it just how it came across in Geonet.  I did have it indented. Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

include the mapping module?

import arcpy.mapping

Probably not the issue.  Maybe have a look at this arcgis 10.1 - Has anybody used arcpy.mapping.ExportReport successfully on 64bit machine? - Geographi...

DavidBuehler

James,

I found that very same link, and was reading it over.  That is the issue.  32-bit vs 64-bit. I solved it by just telling the task scheduler to fun the 32-bit version.

Thanks for your help.

ChrisSmith7
Frequent Contributor

David,

Have you seen Arcpy Export report error?Jeffrey May​ says:

I did learn that ExportReport will not support background processing and it did not seems to like being a part of a stand alone Python script either.  I was able to execute this funtion by turning off background processing and running the script via a ArcMap Script Tool.

Doesn't seem to help your case since you want to launch a scheduled task... but just noting others have had similar issues.

DavidBuehler

Chris,

Actually it does help.  I was digging and digging and I found what both you and James are talking about.  It is a 32-bit vs 64-bit issue.  What I did to solve the problem was just tell the scheduled task to use the 32-bit version as the program to launch, and pointed it to the .py file.  It worked like a charm. Now if I can figure out how to make it use the 32-bit version from inside the script and do a few more things, I will be all set.  Thanks both of you for your help, and pointing me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
DanDeegan
New Contributor III

Does anyone know if this has been resolved? I need to use ExportReport in an mxd. I have been narrowing down reasons why it would fail (network drive, bad path strings, etc) and it just won't open the rlf. 

0 Kudos