Automated data loading

Jump to solution
08-24-2016 12:31 PM
CoyPotts1
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I would like to create a python script that allows users to automatically input a standardized shapefile and load the data into an SDE feature class. 

I'm going to create a spreadsheet that will be filled out by users.  They will take that spreadsheet and use a conversion software to get the shapefile needed.  I want to have a python tool added to our custom toolbar that will allow them to simply input that shapefile and have the tool automatically map the field connections and load the data for the user. 

I haven't been able to find the appropriate resources online to figure out which tools accomplish this, but doing a tool search in the ArcMap search window doesn't return anything for the various keywords that I've searched. 

The last thing that I will note is that the feature classes are "non-simple", so we have to use the Load Objects tool when we manually load our data right now.  I figured that tool would have a place in the tool box and I could reference it in python, but i have been unable to find a resource for it.

System:

Windows 7

ArcMap 10.3.1

ArcServer 10.2.2

SDE Geodatabase 10.2.2

Let me know if there is any other information that may be relevant to our system.

Thanks,

Coy

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Look at the append tool.

That should just about do it....

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Look at the append tool.

BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

..or if it is to be a new feature class each load and the field names are stable then Feature Class to Feature Class.

The field map needs to be set up to control input and output field naming and typing.

0 Kudos
CoyPotts1

The target feature class is always going to be a single feature class.  We don't want to create new ones. 

Thank you for the suggestion, though!

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III
CoyPotts1

I will have to take a look at the append too.  Initially looking at the documentation it does seem like what we are needing.  I have never used it, but I will look further into it now. 

Thanks, Joe Borgione and Wes Miller!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I use it a lot in model builder where I delete all the existing features in one feature class and then append all from another  (updated) feature class into the recently emptied feature class; set it and forget it as far as mapping field names go....

0 Kudos