Autocompletion in ArcPY is not working

11-05-2016 03:18 PM
Ravi_Nigudkar
New Contributor II

I am trying to make my autocompleting to work in ArcPy inside ArMap.

I need help .

Can someone tell me why its not working.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

can you elaborate or show what you are talking about specifically... you may be in this area of the help files

Executing tools in the Python window—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

but you don't have to work in that IDE if you have a better one installed and have enabled the geoprocessing options to use it

0 Kudos
Ravi_Nigudkar
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,

See attached image. It does not provide for options when I type p-- I want the print or pass option to  be provided by Autocompletion in ArcPy.

What was the other idea you gave regarding IDE. I have also the PythonWin tool installed for writing scripts. But there is no autocompletion in it.

Let me know the best approach.

Ravi

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

is there a edit menu? select show auto completion 

from this question migrated from Stack Overflow

arcgis 10.2 - Getting ArcPy autocomplete to work in IDLE? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exc... 

But I use pythonwin, pycharm, pyscripter and spyder all have different purposes for me and I have most of them configured to work with ArcMap 10.4.x/ and ArcGIS Pro

For those using ArcGIS Pro now, or in the future will be of interest

/blogs/dan_patterson/2016/07/17/anaconda-spyder-and-arcgis-pro 

Conda and ArcGIS Pro | ArcPy Café 

0 Kudos
Ravi_Nigudkar
New Contributor II

I still haven't solved this problem. I think I will call ESRI support 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

as indicated in the thread I posted, autocompletion isn't going to occur unless you follow the example in the post.  Typing 'p' doesn't start autocompletion, try importing arcpy first, then follow the example... better still use an external IDE

Ravi_Nigudkar
New Contributor II

How to import Arcpy ? An external IDE like PythonWin also does not provide the autocomplete. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Open up ArcMap's python IDE (window)

look for the >>>

>>> import arcpy

is pretty well it.

What version of arcmap are you using and was python installed before arcmap? Getting any IDE requires that you install arcmap's python.  If your python path doesn't have a subfolder with arcmap in it then it isn't installed properly

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

what version of ArcGIS are you using? I'm on 10.3.1 and it is working

You may want to try  https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2121?sr=search&searchId=1c5617e1-37ed-47d9-ae85-f78fd867ab48&sea...‌   it's amazing how many "weird behavior" things resetting can fix.

0 Kudos
Ravi_Nigudkar
New Contributor II

I am using 10.4

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Rebecca Strauch, GISP <geonet@esri.com>

0 Kudos