AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'setValue' on the line s.setValue(RouteName, cr)

Jump to solution
08-17-2020 08:25 AM
wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

one of my staff members is having trouble accessing GeoNet and has this question:Laura Conner

I am trying to get several routes to combine in to one route. I have created the sub routs and are now trying to combine them with a python script.

The error I am currently running in to is AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'setValue' on the line s.setValue(RouteName, cr). From what I can tell this means object s a list can’t handle the setValue method. Yet from all the examples I have seen I am using the same syntax as the examples given by esri on the arcpy.da.UpdateCursor documentation and other examples. the only difference I can see is variables. Even when try as one forum suggested: s[0].setValue(RouteName, cr) it gives AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'setValue for the respective line.

How do I get my script working to update both fields of the feature class up date?

# internal script for concating subroutes in to larger routs
rln = ["1N-1","1N-2"]# list of sub route names to be concatinated 
r=0 # last highest value sarts at 0
fc = r'C:\Users\lconner\OneDrive - Macon Water Authority\projects\curbs and gutters in the county\Swepper_Routes_2\Swepper_Routes_2_1.gdb\Route1\Stops1'
#feature class the concatination is to be preformed on
rsn =['RouteName','Sequence'] #list of feilds needed route name and sequence
cr= '1NCB' # name of concatinated route

# sn = sequence number the  stop will have in the conacted route
# s= stops in the subroute

for e in rln:
    #get records where route name feild = e
    with arcpy.da.UpdateCursor(fc,['RouteName','Sequence']) as sl:
        # str('RouteName' == e)
        # right sequence number to list =snl
        # order list 
        for s in sl:
            sn=r=r+1
            # wright sn to atrabute of the main route
            s[1]= sn
            s[0]= cr
            s.setValue(RouteName, cr)
            s.setValue(Sequence, sn)
            sl.updateRow(s)
    del sl

more details:

Arc Pro: 2.6

Run in python widow in the respective project

Windows: 10 pro 64 bit

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

She is mixing the syntax between the two styles of cursors.  She is using a Data Access cursor (arcpy.da.UpdateCursor), but she is using the syntax for the older ArcPy Cursor (arcpy.UpdateCursor).  Have her review UpdateCursor—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

She is mixing the syntax between the two styles of cursors.  She is using a Data Access cursor (arcpy.da.UpdateCursor), but she is using the syntax for the older ArcPy Cursor (arcpy.UpdateCursor).  Have her review UpdateCursor—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

wilcow
by
Occasional Contributor

Thank you that has solved the problem. removing the set values allowed the code to successfully run and up date the table.

0 Kudos