ArcREST vs ArcGIS Python API

09-13-2016 03:27 PM
JasonLevine
Occasional Contributor II

ArcREST

ArcGIS Python API

It seems like there's a lot of overlap between the two.  Is there an advantage to using one over the other?  Will ArcREST eventually be absorbed by the ArcGIS Python API?

Tags (3)
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

been avoiding both for a while until I see a need to do beyond basic analysis on the web.   The ArcGIS API for Python | ArcGIS for Developers seems to have stepped up options for this, on the analysis side, given scipy et al. are actively mentioned.  I troll around Esri GitHub | Open Source and Example Projects from the Esri Developer Platform to see what is going on occasionally to see which way the wind is blowing on the developer/example side.

0 Kudos
BorisHaikin
New Contributor II

I can mention one important difference between two APIs: ArcREST can be used for administrating ARCGIS Server, and for executing geo-processing services, querying map services that resides on your own ARCGIS Server. ArcGIS API for Python until now is a platform for manipulating Portal, it can not be used for direct access to ARCGIS Server. So it can't replace ArcREST.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Similar question asked on ArcREST's GitHub site:  comparison to python API #324.

andysp
by
New Contributor III

The ArcREST site on GitHub now reads

This repository is no longer being maintained. Please use the ArcGIS Python API.

Site: https://github.com/Esri/arcgis-python-api

(as of August 28, 2017.)

0 Kudos