ArcPy get MeanCellSize in Meters

Jump to solution
11-22-2016 12:11 PM
MikeWunderlich2
New Contributor II

Hi,

I am trying to create an Index of all GEO-Data on my PC.

But with the MeanCellSize I have a problem, If the Raster data is a geographic the MeanCellSize is in Degree.

Of course, I can project every Raster as an "im_memory" variable but, there must be an easier way?

Raster—ArcPy Classes | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Thanks Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

My guess would be that those numbers will translate to round metric numbers using the approximations specified by W Huber in the link that Joshua sent you, approximated by cos(lat)*meters/deg where latitude is your approximate latitude and meters/deg is the conversion at the equator.  This equates to the distance along a parallel for the spherical earth that W.H refers to (about 111,111 meters per degree at the equator)

see coordinate system - Algorithm for offsetting a latitude/longitude by some amount of meters - Geograp... and Length Of A Degree Of Latitude And Longitude Calculator 

I suspect that the data distributed is either 1, 2, 5, 10, etc meters and any representation in decimal degrees is done solely to provide consistency with the base units

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The response I would give is embedded in a response to a similar question on StackExchange:  What are the units of the calculated area from a raster in decimal degree

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

My guess would be that those numbers will translate to round metric numbers using the approximations specified by W Huber in the link that Joshua sent you, approximated by cos(lat)*meters/deg where latitude is your approximate latitude and meters/deg is the conversion at the equator.  This equates to the distance along a parallel for the spherical earth that W.H refers to (about 111,111 meters per degree at the equator)

see coordinate system - Algorithm for offsetting a latitude/longitude by some amount of meters - Geograp... and Length Of A Degree Of Latitude And Longitude Calculator 

I suspect that the data distributed is either 1, 2, 5, 10, etc meters and any representation in decimal degrees is done solely to provide consistency with the base units