arcpy.charts fails using MakeFeatureLayer in standalone script

03-09-2023 11:01 AM
FredSpataro
Occasional Contributor III

Hi 

Got an odd one with the charts module and MakeFeatureLayer.  Code will work fine if you run it inside the ArcPro py window but if it's outside ArcPro as standalone script or run from inside a GP toolbox script, the result is a catastrophic app crash with the 'please report crash dialog' showing up 😞

basic code:

import arcpy
import os
source_fc = "chart-issues.gdb\\pts"
profile_name = "AB"
query_def = "Name='{}'".format(profile_name)
print(query_def)
r_chart_layer = arcpy.management.MakeFeatureLayer(source_fc, "chart_layer", query_def, None, None)
profile_chart = arcpy.charts.Line(
                x="M",
                y=["Z"],
                dataSource = r_chart_layer.getOutput(0), 
                title="Elevation Over Distance: {}".format(profile_name),
                xTitle = "Distance (Feet)",
                yTitle = "Elevation (Feet)"
            )
print("chart initialized")
chart_path = arcpy.CreateUniqueName(os.path.join("{}.svg".format(profile_name)), arcpy.env.scratchFolder)
print(chart_path)
profile_chart.exportToSVG(chart_path, 500, 500)
print("qed")

I tried a ton of variations and found a few extra nuggets. 

• I know the feature class and feature layer are correct.  If I set the dataSource = source_fc, chart generates without error but i don't get the filter applied so it's not 'path to data kind of issue'
  • If I export the layer to a table or lyrx it will also work but 'why do i have to add an extra step to write data back to disk'? 
  • If I add: print(r_chart_layer.getOutput(0).dataSource)
    • It will print out the expected path to the feature class
    • Oddly, this changes the failure, it's no longer an app crash but generates this error message:
      • Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "D:\support\arcgis\chart-issues\create-chart.py", line 39, in <module>
        profile_chart.exportToSVG(chart_path, 500, 500)
        File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\charts.py", line 449, in exportToSVG
        svgRes = self.getSVG(width if width != None else self.displaySize[0],
        File "C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\ArcPy\arcpy\charts.py", line 445, in getSVG
        return _convertArcObjectToPythonObject(self._arc_object.getSVG(width, height))
        RuntimeError: Invalid dataset: CIMPATH=internal_map/pts.json

There are work arounds but seems like you should be able to MakeFeatureLayer() and assign it as a chart data source without any extra steps. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Outside of Pro, the script knows nothing about the Project

Valid data sources include paths to datasets, including local datasets, UNC paths, and service URLs, and arcpy.mp Layer objects.

From the help topic on line charts, you might want to try saving your layer as a *.lyrx and use the full path to it as the datasource

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos