arcpy.Append_management: ERROR 000187: Only supports Geodatabase tables and feature classes

10-24-2018 11:10 AM
JoseSanchez
Occasional Contributor III

Hello everyone,

I am getting the following error message when running in Python an append -arcpy.Append_management- between a table in SDE and a table from a SQL database.

This append  works fine in Model Builder.

# Process: Truncate Table

arcpy.TruncateTable_management(sde_Table)

# Process: Append

arcpy.Append_management("'Database Connections\\Consumption Production.sde\\Consumption.SQLDatabaseTable'", sde_Table__2_, "NO_TEST", "PREMID \"PREM_ID\" true true false 10 Text 0 0 ,First,#,Database Connections\\Consumption Production.sde\\Consumption.SQLDatabaseTable,PREMID,-1,-1;TOTALGALSEW \"TOTAL_GALLONS_WATER\" true true false 8 Double 2 18 ,First,#,Database Connections\\Consumption Production.sde\\Consumption.SQLDatabaseTable,TotalGallonsWater,-1,-1;GPD \"GALLON_PER_DAY\" true true false 8 Double 2 18 ,First,#,Database Connections\\Consumption Production.sde\\Consumption.SQLDatabaseTable,GPD,-1,-1", "")

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JakeSimms1
Esri Contributor

Greetings Jose,

Error 000187: Only supports Geodatabase tables and feature classes Failed to execute is somewhat a vague error and can be thrown for a few reasons:

• If you script point a path that doesn't even exist this error will occur.
  • If you script to point a path that does exist and to a table or feature class, but you don't have permissions to that folder this error will occur.
  • If you script to point a path that does exist and to a table or feature class, but you can't make a connection this error will occur.

First thing I would try is changing the EZ path to full file path, that's where I would start in all of this.

In your case Database Connections\\Consumption Production.sde\\Consumption.SQLDatabaseTable to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.x\ArcCatalog\<databasename>.sde

You can set the database full path as the environment settings using arcpy.env.workspace = <database file pth> then reference the table or use the file path C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.x\ArcCatalog\<databasename>.sde\<table>

Let me know if this helps.

MollyWatson1
Occasional Contributor

I had a similar issue using the arcpy.Truncate_management tool in ArcGIS 10.6.1. When I wrote out the full path to my feature classes on my SDE database, the tool worked in Python: 

r"C:\Users\mmolter\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.6\ArcCatalog\DatabaseName\Feature Class name"

Before, I referenced the feature class like this but Python didn't like it. Even though it worked in ModelBuilder:

"Database Connections\\DatabaseName\Feature Class name"

Thanks for the suggestion!