arcmap 10.5 python version ???

12-15-2016 11:18 AM
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Rumours abound... no confirmation by anyone... so if you have installed 10.5 (pre-release, release, future-wear, whatever), can you confirm the version of 

• python
  • numpy
  • scipy
  • matplotlib

Are there any new packages installed that you know of in the site-packages folder?

I don't want to waste my time anymore maintaining older versions of python and backporting functionality from 3 to 2.. I am beginning to know what a Cobol programmer felt like in Y2K.

I also presume they didn't go the Conda route as they did with Pro.  

Is there a reason for this?  Why the separation of development in Map and Pro?

Does anyone know anyone with any insight into world of python and its kin and when there will be some unification of the family.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Prerelease was still 2.7.

edit...or should I say, still installed in the Python27 folder

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

So you said pre-release is still installed there... so there is hope

what about

>>> import numpy as np
>>> np.version.version
??????? # faint hope that it is higher than my iPad
>>>
>>> # ---- or ----
>>> import matplotlib as mpl
>>> mpl.__version__
???????  # ditto
>>> # ---- repeat for scipy etc
0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

again, for pre-release 10.5

>>> import numpy as np
>>> np.version.version
'1.9.2'
>>> import matplotlib as mp1
>>> mp1.__version__
'1.4.3'
>>> import scipy as spy
>>> spy.version.version
'0.15.1'
>>>

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

tied with the iPad (except don't use scipy on it)

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

...guess I should have mentioned that that was done in the ArcCatalog python window, if that makes a difference for you.  I just use what they give me, and a few other modules I need for specific programs/tools I write.  I'm not a python module explorer like you.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

They did change the version between PreRelease and Release, just not the version change you wanted.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Pardon my typo but here's the result from my ArcGIS 10.5 install:

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A sad day... 8 years old this month, as I have blogged, and still ignored by ArcMap.

The last bastion of hope will be ArcGIS Pro, if they deliver on equal for equal in terms of analysis functionality... perhaps, someone from the geoprocessing or other team could offer a glimmer of hope that at least python 3.5.x (3.6 would be a dream) and numpy 1.10 (min. 1.11 great) will be installed?

Backporting is no longer desireable and I am not keen on snagging needed functionality out github or mercurial to cobble together functions to keep them current.  

Thanks people... I will leave this open and continue to reward new information... 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Dan - do not give up hope...for ArcGIS Pro is a different beast entirely.  The releases I quoted above are for ArcMap 10.5...

Pro 1.4 (Alpha 4) is different...

Python is 3.5.2

matplotlib is 1.5.3

numpy is 1.11.2

scipy is 0.18.1