ArcGIS Pro conda.exe broken

Jump to solution
09-25-2020 10:04 AM
NicholasKlein-Baer
New Contributor III

It seems that the conda used by my ArcGIS Pro 2.6.1 install is completely broken. I have tried completely uninstalling and re-installing ArcPro, but it didn't change anything. I cannot create environments from the ArcPro GUI, nor can I run *any* conda commands from that python command prompt. For example, when I try running any of these commands:

conda list
conda info --envs‍
conda create --clone arcgispro-py3 -n myenv

It 'thinks' for a few seconds but the simply returns to a new command prompt without doing anything. No text output, nor are new environments created. I know it's not an issue with my PATH environmental variable: I've checked that it's set correctly, and even explicitly calling conda.exe with the full path does nothing :

I'm lost on how to fix this. Given that reinstalling did nothing, I suspect it is some problem with my system and not with arcpro or conda themselves. I do have a separate anaconda installation on this machine, which I have been warned can cause problems. Yet on a second machine I use with an almost identical set up (2.6.1 w/ separate Anaconda install) this is not a problem, and it was not a problem on this system until recently.

Any thoughts on how to diagnose and fix this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Its probably a conflict with anaconda install, at least that's what I thought happened to me but I never could figure it out completely. So for me, I just did a complete uninstall of Anaconda, then and uninstall of Pro.

Deleted any directories associated with stand-alone anaconda.  Then I did a reinstall of Pro, upgraded it 2.6.1 and then I was able to clone my default environment, then use the conda update -c esri --no-pin arcgis command to get the latest 1.8.2 arcgis api, notebook etc.  I never did do a reinstall of the stand alone Anaconda after that.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Clone the default and switch Pro to use the clone.  That way the separate Anaconda install may still work stand-alone.  I had trouble with that set up as well and no longer use the separate Anaconda, but I didn't really have a need for a separate install.

0 Kudos
NicholasKlein-Baer
New Contributor III

I can't clone the default using ESRI's conda because it doesn't work at all. Are you suggesting to clone it with non-ESRI conda? I'm skeptical of mixing them like that...

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Oh right sorry.  I see that now here " I cannot create environments from the ArcPro GUI, ". No, I was not suggesting that. Can you launch Pro at all?

0 Kudos
NicholasKlein-Baer
New Contributor III

Yes, and I can use python in the pro GUI. I can also run python scripts from the python command prompt. It really seems to be a problem with conda.exe specifically ... or rather, with my system preventing conda.exe from running properly (if I copy the conda.exe file to my second system it works fine there)

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Ok so you can launch Pro.  You can't go into the Python>Python Package Manger>Manage Environments>Clone Default GUI?

0 Kudos
NicholasKlein-Baer
New Contributor III

Nope. It doesn't give an error when I try to clone from the GUI, but the environment doesn't actually appear in my AppData folder. And when I restard ArcPro it is no longer listed in the GUI manage environments dialog.

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Its probably a conflict with anaconda install, at least that's what I thought happened to me but I never could figure it out completely. So for me, I just did a complete uninstall of Anaconda, then and uninstall of Pro.

Deleted any directories associated with stand-alone anaconda.  Then I did a reinstall of Pro, upgraded it 2.6.1 and then I was able to clone my default environment, then use the conda update -c esri --no-pin arcgis command to get the latest 1.8.2 arcgis api, notebook etc.  I never did do a reinstall of the stand alone Anaconda after that.

NicholasKlein-Baer
New Contributor III

Uninstalling the standalone miniconda solved the issue. Was hoping it wouldn't come to that, as I do need that separate install for other work. I was able to reinstall it successfully without issue, however. If I ever identify what caused the two to conflict I will update here.

TracyThorleifson
New Contributor III

Nicholas, I've got no help on a fix for you, but I can confirm that conda is running just fine on my system at 2.6.1, so it is likely something in your system setup. We have had a similar issue with one of our users; their system was locked down so tightly by their IT department that some Python-related executables, including conda, failed to install properly with Pro. As with your machine, no error was returned upon calling conda; our package simply failed to install. It took a while to track down, and eventually we had somebody from this individual's IT department with full system privileges do the Pro install, and that took care of it.