Jump to solution
10-18-2016 03:35 AM
SOVANHALDER
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have ArcGIS 10.2 on a 64bit Windows 7 machine. I had two versions of Python

1. 2.7.4 64 bit stand alone

2. 2.7.5 32 bit with ArcGIS

While running any python script I found conflict between two versions so I uninstalled the 64 bit python. Though the scripts are running fine ArcMap is crashing while accessing any python related tool.

Kindly help on it.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it is possible/likely that the two installations conflicted at some level and uninstalling one, affected the other,  You might try uninstalling python completely and doing a repair of arcmap

View solution in original post

11 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

it is possible/likely that the two installations conflicted at some level and uninstalling one, affected the other,  You might try uninstalling python completely and doing a repair of arcmap

SOVANHALDER
New Contributor III

Problem solved after repairing arcgis

0 Kudos
SandeepKumar11
New Contributor

sir i am getting this error after importing 64 bit geoprocessing and unable to work can you suggest any resolution. i am using arcgis 10.5 on windows 10.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

does everything work with 32 bit python?  ArcMap installation should use the python that is designed for it and that version isn't the normal one.

0 Kudos
SandeepKumar11
New Contributor

yes the 32bit python is working fine i am having problem with 64 bit python

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

use the python designed to work with arcmap.  If you want to work in 64 bit, move to Pro.  If you just want to work with python solely, the get a proper separate distribution from continuum ... it just isn't worth messing around with a separate install.  Besides, you should be moving to python 3 which has been out for 8 years.  PRO uses python 3.5.x while arcmap is still using 2.7.x  which is not being upgraded anymore (check my blog if you are interested in python... lots of links and tips,  and Python 3.7.0a is out already as well).  

In short... use what is supposed to be used and if you need more in terms of functionality, speed, memory access, move to PRO and python 3.5.  Others may disagree, but they will put forth their support case I am sure.

SandeepKumar11
New Contributor

thanks sir for you time and very informative reply, i wanted to import arcpy in jupyter - ipython to read file contents from a file geodatabase and further use that data in pandas as a pandas dataframe, by the contents i mean the attribute tables of feature classes stored in file geodatabase. I am using anaconda distribution that is a python 3.x and 64bit version if you can suggest me a way to do that without messing with arcpy it will make my day. I came across many posts mentioning fiona and geopandas but i don't get any working solution.

problem is that i am not having license of arcgis pro and i don't think i would be able to get one in near future, either i should do it with arcmap or with python alone.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If you have arcmap, you can get PRO, it costs no more.  Whoever handles your licenses, get them to release one to you, otherwise go to your 'MyEsri' link, login and check to see what is available.  I assume you already have an ArcGIS Online account? (if not get one).  Pandas, Jupyter Numpy, Scipy, etc etc are available through that distribution... you can't access (easily anyway) through a separate anaconda distribution.  If it is esri... use their stuff to make your life easier

0 Kudos
SandeepKumar11
New Contributor

thanks for your kind suggestion but my license is student license and i have to keep arcmap only(as told by college), i have no option other than to look for an alternative to arcpy to read feature class from file geodatabase and convert it to pandas dataframe. can you suggest me anything.

0 Kudos