Anaconda modules from ArcMap 10 python environment

Jump to solution
12-01-2020 12:31 PM
AlexandraThompson90
New Contributor II

Hi there,

I am trying to implement the following procedure:

Set Up ArcGIS with Anaconda: https://medium.com/@ochieng.grace/set-up-arcgis-with-anaconda-94f53c65dbb7

also here: https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/display/EGIS/Using+Anaconda+modules+from+the+ESRI+python+environment

In order to enable Anaconda modules, e.g. Spyder and Jupyter, to work with within an ArcMap 10.3.1 environment.

When I implement the step in the procedure "Create an Anaconda environment for use with ArcGIS," and paste the prompt relevant to ArcMap 10.3.1, I receive the following message from the Anaconda prompt stating that none of the packages can be found:

Capture.JPG

I'm brand new to conda, so might be missing something obvious. But I can't find anything else online about this specific problem - the websites with procedures don't suggest this should be occurring.

I currently have conda 4.7.12 installed.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Those are old versions of numpy, matplotlib, and they aren't in that channel

main/win-32 (anaconda.com)

you would be better off using python 3 and get your packages from

main/win-64 (anaconda.com)

You are going to have issues with Spyder as well

Have you considered using ArcGIS Pro?  It comes with better conda support and numpy, matplotlib are  installed and ready to use by default and I use spyder all the time.

Also, ArcMap 10.3 is near the end of its life cycle and I wouldn't use an old version unless you don't have access to newer software.

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Those are old versions of numpy, matplotlib, and they aren't in that channel

main/win-32 (anaconda.com)

you would be better off using python 3 and get your packages from

main/win-64 (anaconda.com)

You are going to have issues with Spyder as well

Have you considered using ArcGIS Pro?  It comes with better conda support and numpy, matplotlib are  installed and ready to use by default and I use spyder all the time.

Also, ArcMap 10.3 is near the end of its life cycle and I wouldn't use an old version unless you don't have access to newer software.

... sort of retired...
AlexandraThompson90
New Contributor II

Thank you so much @DanPatterson

I'm using ArcMap 10.3 because I'm setting up some geoprocessing for a colleague who only has access to 10.3. I myself do have access to Pro. I was hoping to use something other than IDLE for my colleague's purposes. But if there's no workaround, IDLE it is!

0 Kudos