Adjusting column count for single legend item using Arcpy

Jump to solution
06-18-2018 10:57 AM
MKF62
by
Occasional Contributor III

I know you can adjust the column count for the whole legend with the method adjustColumnCount(), but I am wondering if you can adjust the number of columns for a single legend item instead of the whole legend? I am creating a custom print task where users can select what layers they want to include and how to symbolize them - if they choose to symbolize it in a certain way (they choose a particular renderer), I would like to be able to split that layer into two columns in the legend. There is a different instance where if they choose a different renderer for the layer, it does not need to be split into two columns. Telling what renderer they choose is easy, it's figuring out how to apply a column count to a specific legend item that I'm not sure how to do.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TadRosenlund1
New Contributor

The way I was able to make this happen is to create a separate legend of only the feature I wanted to split in the legend, then under the Layout tab in Legend properties check the "Fixed Frame" box under fitting strategy and check the "automatically adjust number of columns" box. Then adjust the size of your legend box and it should split into columns.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TadRosenlund1
New Contributor

The way I was able to make this happen is to create a separate legend of only the feature I wanted to split in the legend, then under the Layout tab in Legend properties check the "Fixed Frame" box under fitting strategy and check the "automatically adjust number of columns" box. Then adjust the size of your legend box and it should split into columns.