Labels (1)
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
5 9 2,933

Clone

The visual guide.

You can do it from within ArcGIS Pro.

The Visual Guide

You can add packages through the ArcGIS Pro interface, but I prefer using conda.

You just need to run the proenv.bat file through the interactive command prompt.

The end.

9 Comments
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Dan- in the past have used a directory for my clones: C:\EnvClones and named my clone directory accordingly: Pro24, Pro243...Pro25 (not yet).  Is it essential to use th Arcgis Pro install directory for clones?

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

doesn't matter, I just like to keep the cloned environment within the base., Here is an example I have used

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Why the --no-pin? If you have another clone that you don't need to be used by Pro, you would be totally fine in pulling the pin, but wouldn't you want the to use the pin to ensure you do not break Pro's Python tools.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Some dependencies are hard dependencies (like the numpy version and jupyter kernels), --no-pin just removes lock.

I use --no-pin to avoid downgrades and rollbacks as well.

I use --no-pin even on the base environment.

I things go really south, I just remove, reinstall from the *.msi 

change the `pinned` file and use my environment.yaml 

(located in your install path and profile C:\_install_folder_\bin\Python\res)

But I have never had anything go that bad since .... conda install --revision (some number) .... does an excellent job of rolling things back to the 'the bad thing never happened' state

AnnaStudwell
New Contributor

Thanks for this helpful guide Dan!

We're working on configuring our ArcGIS Pro 2.5.1 install with Spyder both for a suite of remote desktops via Microsoft Azure as well as configuring the same set up on my own laptop. This will support our university's geospatial data science and python programming remote classes during fall 2020. We're in the process of putting together guides to have students configure their own computers with the same version that we'll be installing this summer on Microsoft Azure so we can all work remotely effectively. Ideally we don't want to be asking students (let alone our academic technology / IT folks) to update Spyder or Pro mid-semester so we're trying to narrow down now on a standard. 

That said, I'm curious if you know why the most recent version of Spyder that Pro 2.5.1 is compatible with is Spyder 3.3.6 (as soon as I finish the install into my arcgis-pro environments, the update message pops up saying 4.1.3 is available)? Will there be a more recent version of Spyder compatible with Pro 2.5.1 coming anytime soon?

Thanks again,

-Anna

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Anna Studwell‌ Spyder is currently 4.1.3 with 4.1.4 due out "soon" to address a "jedi", "python-language-server" issue.

You could update now, but then you might have some issues and since you are trying to set up a protocol for a class I would wait to update yours.

Spyder 4.* is really a great move from the 3.x suite and well suited for students.

Also... I am on ArcGIS Pro 2.6 beta 1, so that will be coming out before classes, around the user conference time period.

My recommendation would be to wait until you see 4.1.4 being the Spyder version to update to before you upgrade spyder.

Also, "follow" me on GeoNet so you can message me with other questions. Dan Patterson  is the new "me", this post is by the old me when I was still teaching.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

A guy retires and he's reborn...

AnnaStudwell
New Contributor

Thanks Dan! I really appreciate the helpful advice. You'll be the first who I follow in here

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

into the top 20 this contest

About the Author
Retired Geomatics Instructor at Carleton University. I am a forum MVP and Moderator. Current interests focus on python-based integration in GIS. See... Py... blog, my GeoNet blog...
Labels