Select to view content in your preferred language

Publish Relationship Class from File Geodatabase?

03-02-2022 11:31 AM
EricMahaffey1
Occasional Contributor

I'm trying to publish a feature service on ArcGIS Server from ArcMap.  The layer within the map is sourced from a feature class in a File Geodatabase that is part of a relationship class with another f-class in the same GDB.  I keep getting an error code 00134 saying "Layer's data source is not supported".  From what I've read regarding this code it sounds like only relationship classes within an enterprise database can be published to a feature service.  Is this correct?  If so, why? 

ArcGIS Desktop and Server v10.8.1

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@EricMahaffey1 
You can't publish feature service off a FileGDB. A feature service only supports data off enterprise databases unless you want to publish a hosted feature service.

Is the reason you want to publish a feature service because you want to do editing via web apps?

EricMahaffey1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response.  The only reason I'm trying to publish to a feature service is to make all the information (source f-class & relationship data) available to a front end API for querying, identifying, etc.  From what I can tell the relationship class has to be published to a feature service to do this.  Although I could be wrong.  I'm not running an enterprise GDB so I'd like to stick with a FGDB if possible.  Any advice would be much appreciated. 

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@EricMahaffey1you can publish your map as a map service and you should still be able to access relationship etc.

pls let me know if you run into any issues.

0 Kudos
EricMahaffey1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tanu, I can see the relationships to the layer in the service when I load the service in ArcMap (just for testing).  The main difference is that when I click on the features in the relationship, all I get is the attribution from the feature.  I do not see the feature flash on the map.  I'm trying to predict what sort of functionality will be available when the service/layer is accessed from an API.  I haven't found a any good example applications that have tools built into them that allows the user to query, identify, etc. on features that are part of a relationship class.  My hope is to be able to query for a feature and highlight (i.e. select) the features that are "related" to it in the rel class.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @EricMahaffey1 

Is ArcMap your primary client app?

I do not see the feature flash on the map.

1. Flashing related features on the map appears to be only supported in desktop apps such as ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap. It is not supported in web apps, such as ArcGIS Online Map Viewer.
    • even though the ArcGIS Online Classic Map Viewer allows you to navigate to related features easily (just doesn't support flashing from there).
      • that is supported for both map service layer (aka map image layer) and
      • feature layer (regardless of its source, which could be a map service or a feature service)
        TanuHoque_0-1646352330537.png

2. You are right, the flashing doesn't work when you the service as a map service layer in ArcMap or you might not even see related records in Pro popup window
    • works fine for feature services.
    • if you want I can give you a workaround that you might not like and might have already thought about, but this might help you get around if all limitations work in your favor. Pls let me know.

I'm trying to predict what sort of functionality will be available when the service/layer is accessed from an API.

Since you mentioned API, just wanted to know if you are planning to consume this service off a custom application built with JS API or something like that.

0 Kudos
EricMahaffey1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Tanu.  Correct, the flash features doesn't work when the service is loaded in ArcMap (v10.8.1).  I'm open to hear about the workaround you mentioned.  The API we're planning to use the service in is the ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET.  We have a thick client application that has a map interface.  Ultimately we'd like to be able to display the relational data, identify on it, flash related features, query forward and backwards, etc.

0 Kudos