Issue updating Feature Service in ArcGis Server Manager

12-07-2023 04:02 AM
abhishek_choudhary
New Contributor III

Hi,

"I am attempting to utilize the REST API to update the Feature Service on ArcGIS Manager. However, I encounter an error stating, 'Requested operation is not supported by this service' during the update process.

I have deployed the Map Service using the 'Publish Map Service' feature in ArcGIS Pro to a Standalone Server with the 'Copy Data' option enabled. Additionally, I have activated the Feature Server option with Update and Create permissions in the Server Manager portal. Despite these settings, I continue to face errors while attempting updates. I have attached a screenshot for your reference. Could someone kindly offer guidance on how to proceed?"

abhishek_choudhary_0-1701949700264.pngabhishek_choudhary_1-1701949820522.pngabhishek_choudhary_2-1701949859853.png

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Kumar Choudhary

0 Kudos
6 Replies
HarishKV
Occasional Contributor

Change the Format to Json or Geojson and try

0 Kudos
abhishek_choudhary
New Contributor III

@HarishKV , I have tried using geojson still it fails and give same error "Requested Operation is not supported by the Service". Below is the geojson I am using for testing

{
"type": "Feature",
"geometry": {
"type": "Point",
"coordinates": [-117.18575, 34.0663800003]
},
"properties": {
"VehicleId": "1000",
"EventTime": 1701760097439,
"VehicleType": "Van",
"Speed": 64,
"Panic": null,
"OBJECTID": 1
}
}

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@abhishek_choudhary 

Thanks for sharing the screenshot. That is very helpful. As you see, the service is pointing datasets inside from a FileGDB. Feature Service (aka the Feature Access extension of map service) can't be enabled when data resides in a FileGDB. It must be in an enterprise database for allowing multi user editing.

I see you published with 'copy data' option - that begs the question why do you need support editing capability when this filegdb lives in a managed location and will get deleted when you delete this service?

0 Kudos
abhishek_choudhary
New Contributor III

Thanks @TanuHoque  for sharing this information .Can you please guide how can we achieve this .I tried creating a Arcgis DataStore folder on the same server and copying the file geodatabase to the folder which is used as a referenced datasource while publishing the service . Still getting same error . Is there anything I am doing wrong here or It would be great if you could share some steps to do it correctly.  

abhishek_choudhary_0-1702055565160.png

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

@abhishek_choudhary 

As I mentioned above, you can't enable Feature Access extension when your data lives in file gdb regardless if you chose to publish by reference or 'copy data'.

you must have enterprise database in order to turn on Feature Access extension.

I hope this help. Otherwise, pls let me know

ArchitSrivastava
Occasional Contributor II

Hello @abhishek_choudhary ,

As mentioned by @TanuHoque, it is a requirement for feature service to have enterprise Database, for details please refer the below link :

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/prepare-data-for-feature-ser... 

Cause of the Problem:

As far as, I could understand from the description, you created a Map Service first with Data copy and then enabled Feature access. This workflow will not allow the editing/update features on the service as when we initially publish a "Map Service (with data copy to Server)" it creates a "File Geodatabase" in "arcgisinput" (as you have already noticed) folder by design. After that if you enable "Feature access", the data still resides in "File Geodatabase" causing the requirement of capability to not fulfilled. Hence, the resulting error.

Additionally, when @TanuHoque "Enterprise Database", that would not be solved by creating "a folder named arcgis datastore" as it's still a file geodatabase which causes the same problem as mentioned earlier.

Probable Solution:

A probable solution could be to think about which type of Enterprise Database is possible for you to utilize, there are multiple options available with ArcGIS, possible options mentioned below :

• User managed data and referenced data
  • ArcGIS managed data and hosted data

You would have to choose which you want to progress further with, for more details the following document should help :

I would suggest go through these documentation and take an informed decision and based on that republish the service.

Hope it helps!