Select to view content in your preferred language

Excluding/Hiding Fields From Publishing In a Feature Service

10-06-2023 01:05 PM
AKRRMapGuy
Regular Contributor

Hello!

I have done some googling and have not been able to find anything about this. Is it possible to hide fields on a Feature Service as you publish them, the source being referenced data in SQL server. 

Or do I have to maintain 2 copies of the same data, with one being a dialed back schema? Hiding them in the map is not adequate since this is a public map and of course the Services in it have to be as well.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ValerieCaden-Baptiste
Esri Contributor

You may want to consider using hosted feature layer views to control how the layer is displayed and hide fields. A view is created from an existing feature layer and references existing data but the settings and properties can be configured differently.

Here's a Technical Support Article on how to hide fields in a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online:

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-hide-fields-in-a-hosted-feature-layer-in-arcgis...

0 Kudos
AKRRMapGuy
Regular Contributor

Huh ok, if I am reading the article linked inside the article you referenced, correctly a 'public' view can be created from a feature service shared to the 'organization'. It only talks about hosted feature services though. I wonder if it would work with a referenced one from ArcGIS Server/SQL, pulling the service in to AGOL from Portal using stored credentials. This is worth a try. Thank you!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

0 Kudos
AKRRMapGuy
Regular Contributor

Ah ok thank you! Hiding them before you publish the service does hide the fields after all? This route was actually my first thought, but I found another thread or two on here saying that doesn't actually hide them on the service, but cool! I will try it then, thank you. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

0 Kudos
AKRRMapGuy
Regular Contributor

And that 'visible' setting is tied to the map you used to public the redacted service only? Thats awesome. I will try this when I start rebuilding all our services in the next week or so. We are having to start from scratch because our 10.7.1 Portal user store/routing would break when we update it. ESRI couldn't figure out where the issue was. Thank you!

0 Kudos