Error in 'Generate Stop-Street Connector' Tool

Jump to solution
01-17-2019 10:52 AM
ParomitaNakshi
New Contributor

Hello!

I am trying to use 'Generate Stop-Street Connector' tool from 'Add GTFS to network dataset' toolbox. I recently downloaded the toolbox from here: Add GTFS to a Network Dataset and added it to ArcMap. 

But when I run the 'Generate Stop-Street Connector' tool, it is not working and I am getting an error message like the screenshot attached here. What can I do to address this error? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

This error message is the key to identifying the problem:

Execute: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin\ESRIRegAsm.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\TransitEvaluator.dll" /p:Desktop /s
Registration of TransitEvaluator.dll was not successful.

When you install the tool, there is a dll called TransitEvaluator.dll which must be "registered" with ArcMap so that ArcMap knows that it can use this dll.  It's like telling ArcMap, "hey, here's a new dll that's part of you now.".  (This dll contains the special transit evaluator necessary for using network datasets that contain transit data.)  ArcMap comes with a utility, ESRIRegAsm.exe, which takes care of registering new dlls.  However, in this case, for some reason the registration process is failing, and I don't know why, and I don't know how to find out why.  This type of problem is very frustrating!  It's almost always some quirk of the user's machine set-up or their installation of ArcMap.

I don't know what to suggest except a couple of probably not-too-helpful things:

1) Do you have another computer with ArcMap you can use instead?  Maybe another machine won't have the same error.

2) Do you have the ability to re-install ArcMap on your machine or to upgrade to the latest release (10.6.1) of ArcMap?  The tool should work correctly on 10.5, but since it's not, it might be worth trying something else.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

The script tool seems to have lost the reference to its python script, probably because you moved the toolbox .tbx file without moving the associated .py script.

See public-transit-tools/TroubleshootingGuide.md at master · Esri/public-transit-tools · GitHub 

0 Kudos
ParomitaNakshi
New Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply!

I have tried downloading both the toolbox and the python script from GitHub and saved them in the same folder (without moving them anywhere). But I got the error message again. Though I could see that the script was there in the same folder:

So I downloaded again from ArcGIS online. When I ran the .exe file, I got the following error message:

Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\ESRI.ArcGIS.NetworkAnalyst.dll
Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\ESRI.ArcGIS.System.dll
Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\ESRI.ArcGIS.Version.dll
Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\TransitEvaluator.dll
Output folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes
Remove folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\
Installation aborted.

I am using ArcMap 10.5.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Ooooooohhhhhhh, you downloaded the github version.  That version doesn't work as is.  The github version is meant exclusively for people who actually want to look at and play with the code.  I think there's explanatory text somewhere that says that, but probably not in an obvious enough way.

If you just want to use the tool for analysis, you should download the released version from arcgis.com: http://arcg.is/10jXez.  It comes with an installer that will configure all the toolboxes properly on your machine.

0 Kudos
ParomitaNakshi
New Contributor

I tried the released version but for some unknown reason, it couldn't register the transitevaluator.dll and generated the following error: 

Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\ESRI.ArcGIS.NetworkAnalyst.dll
Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\ESRI.ArcGIS.System.dll
Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\ESRI.ArcGIS.Version.dll
Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\TransitEvaluator.dll
Remove folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\
Installation aborted.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

Sorry, you said that before, and I didn't read carefully enough.

I'd like to see if there is more error text than what you pasted above.  When you run the installer, after you get the error and click OK, click Show details.  Some of the error text may be cut off or not shown.   Right-click in the message window and choose "Copy Details To Clipboard" and paste the full message here so I can try to see what's wrong.  Or, let me know if that's what you already did.

Do you have administrative privileges on your machine?  It could be that you don't have the necessary privileges to install something and copy files to C:\Program Files(x86).

0 Kudos
ParomitaNakshi
New Contributor

Please don't be sorry. I so much appreciate your cooperation!

A little bit update: I turned off firewall and antivirus protection and ran the .exe. again. Then I got the following error:

Searching the registry for ArcMap installation folder...
ArcMap installation found at: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\
Installing TransitEvaluator.dll and dependencies to: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles
Output folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles
Extract: ESRI.ArcGIS.ADF.Local.dll... 100%
Extract: ESRI.ArcGIS.CatalogUI.dll... 100%
Extract: ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.dll... 100%
Extract: ESRI.ArcGIS.NetworkAnalyst.dll... 100%
Extract: ESRI.ArcGIS.System.dll... 100%
Extract: ESRI.ArcGIS.Version.dll... 100%
Extract: TransitEvaluator.dll... 100%
Execute: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin\ESRIRegAsm.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\TransitEvaluator.dll" /p:Desktop /s
Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\ESRI.ArcGIS.ADF.Local.dll
Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\ESRI.ArcGIS.CatalogUI.dll
Delete file: C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.5\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\EvaluatorFiles\ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase.dll
Installation aborted.

I have previously installed stuff on my machine and I think files were copied fine to C:\Program Files(x86) in those times. Is it some registry problem that I am facing now?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

This error message is the key to identifying the problem:

When you install the tool, there is a dll called TransitEvaluator.dll which must be "registered" with ArcMap so that ArcMap knows that it can use this dll.  It's like telling ArcMap, "hey, here's a new dll that's part of you now.".  (This dll contains the special transit evaluator necessary for using network datasets that contain transit data.)  ArcMap comes with a utility, ESRIRegAsm.exe, which takes care of registering new dlls.  However, in this case, for some reason the registration process is failing, and I don't know why, and I don't know how to find out why.  This type of problem is very frustrating!  It's almost always some quirk of the user's machine set-up or their installation of ArcMap.

I don't know what to suggest except a couple of probably not-too-helpful things:

1) Do you have another computer with ArcMap you can use instead?  Maybe another machine won't have the same error.

2) Do you have the ability to re-install ArcMap on your machine or to upgrade to the latest release (10.6.1) of ArcMap?  The tool should work correctly on 10.5, but since it's not, it might be worth trying something else.

ParomitaNakshi
New Contributor

Thanks a lot, Melinda! It indeed seems like a machine problem. I tried installing it in three more computers and it has so far installed correctly in one of them!

So I tried to run the 'Generate Stop-Street Connector' tool in that machine. It produced a runtime error saying 'A column was specified that does not exist' (screenshot attached).

I took a look at the python script from github (please pardon any of my misunderstanding as I am not a python expert). It seemed like there are several stuffs like parent station, street entrance, wheelchair_boarding, etc. that I don't have in my dataset. And probably that is why the runtime error occurred? 

Now, how do I deal with this error to generate the connectors for my analysis? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm so sorry this entire process has been so full of problems.

This is a really weird error.  That line in the code is just looping through the rows in your Stops table, and it's reading the Shape field and the stop_id field and using the location_type field to filter only the parent stations. Does your Stops table have all these fields (Shape is just the geometry, so if it shows up as points on the map, you're good for that one).

I don't know how you could have gotten this far if you didn't have stop_id, so I'm guessing location_type might be the culprit.  I guess if you don't have that field, you could just add a text field called location_type to the Stops feature class, and then the tool should work.

0 Kudos