Count trips in polygon buffer around stops (time of process)

Jump to solution
04-16-2019 12:57 PM
Labels (1)
orlandobarrarza
New Contributor

Hello eveyone.

My question is  kind of simple. I have been using some of the tool such as Better Bus Buffer. I have a GTFS of Mexico City which  contains around 6,000 stops and 100 lines.  My doubt is about the time  that takes the frist step  (preprocess buffer). 

I understand that Arcmap does not give you a procees bar (that gives the percetage of the process achived) like Qgis. and of course the amount of time depends in my hardware and the size of the data that I am analyzing but  the procees has been computing like 15 hours and still  doest produce the second outpus which is Step1_FlatPolys.

Thank you everyone

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

The Step 1 – Preprocess Buffers tool (BetterBusBuffers Count Trips in Polygon Buffers around Stops) does a lot of complicated geometry operations.  If your transit agency is huge (doesn't sound like it's that huge...) or if your buffer size is very large, it may take a really long time to perform these calculations.  Also, if you're using a shapefile network dataset, it might be slower than a file geodatabase network dataset.  If your network dataset's source feature classes don't have a spatial index for some reason, this will make things extremely slow.

You might also just be running out of memory in ArcMap.  ArcMap is an older 32-bit application that cannot make use of the full memory resources of your computer.  Try running this tool in ArcGIS Pro, which can handle larger problems much more easily.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

The Step 1 – Preprocess Buffers tool (BetterBusBuffers Count Trips in Polygon Buffers around Stops) does a lot of complicated geometry operations.  If your transit agency is huge (doesn't sound like it's that huge...) or if your buffer size is very large, it may take a really long time to perform these calculations.  Also, if you're using a shapefile network dataset, it might be slower than a file geodatabase network dataset.  If your network dataset's source feature classes don't have a spatial index for some reason, this will make things extremely slow.

You might also just be running out of memory in ArcMap.  ArcMap is an older 32-bit application that cannot make use of the full memory resources of your computer.  Try running this tool in ArcGIS Pro, which can handle larger problems much more easily.

orlandobarrarza
New Contributor

Thank you for yout asnwer Melinda

0 Kudos