Does anyone push their Esri data to Intergraph I/CAD?

07-30-2015 08:23 AM
KimberlyMeinert
Occasional Contributor

I'm trying to find people to commiserate with who are Esri users who were tasked to roll map data to Intergraph's I/CAD system.  I have heard snippets about their new I/Map Editor toolbar that supposedly works with ArcMap now, but haven't found a whole lot of information on it.  There is no GeoNet in Intergraph-land...

Anyone?

41 Replies
LGalyen
New Contributor III

I just took my first python scripting class last week so that is all new to me.  There probably is a way to accomplish this, I just dont have the knowledge base to do it at the moment. 

0 Kudos
KristineMuma
New Contributor II

I am just now investigating how we can get our Esri data into I/CAD for our Police service.  Our GIS here used to be a Geomedia shop but I've forgotten it all. We are hoping to automate this conversion if we can. FME is an option for us. Am I understanding that you have been able to export the data from Esri in the formats needed? I was starting to get the impression that this wasn't possible.  So far, I can't even get anyone to give us the data requirements for I/CAD so I have no idea where to even begin. Would you be willing to share any models?? 

So happy to find this thread!

0 Kudos
KimberlyMeinert
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kristine - Yes, I am using FME to export from our Enterprise SDE database to GeoMedia Warehouses (you have to make sure you have the Intergraph version of the license of FME so that the correct format is available).  Then I use GeoMedia and I/MAP Editor to take it into a staging SQL database that mimics I/CAD's schema.  It's kind of a roundabout way, but that's the way it was set up by Intergraph when we first bought I/CAD and we've continued to keep it band-aided together over the years.

0 Kudos
KristineMuma
New Contributor II

Hi Kimberly, I naively thought I would get an email when someone replied....So I didn't see your reply, Thank you so much for replying. This did get put on the back burner as the new service that they pay to provide the conversion finally brought them up to first in the line, so they handed it over to them.  That makes it less urgent now. My hope is that they will just take the plunge and try to get out of their maintenance contract so that they can purchase a more friendly solution, but I don't know where that is at. As a result we never did contact our FME consultant to follow through with the investigations. The current plan is to see if this new conversion service did a good enough job, if not that might be the impetus to look for another solution. Until then I'm not working on it. I really appreciate your feedback and hope to connect again if this comes back up.

0 Kudos
JohannaKraus2
Occasional Contributor

Are you still working on this?  We have a bunch of python scripts that export shapefiles that are used by geomedia.  I've never exported data into a GeoMedia warehouse but I find that option intriguing...perhaps it would make using geomedia faster?  I find using our publish workspace is VERY slow (to load data, change scales, pan around etc).

0 Kudos
KristineMuma
New Contributor II

Hi Johanna, as you may have guess this got put on the back burner as their paid provider finally came through for them. I am interested in your python methods as that is definitely a step in the right direction. Unfortunately until I get word that they want to start back up I won't be working on it in any way. Thanks and I'll connect if it comes back up!

0 Kudos
JohannaKraus2
Occasional Contributor

Have you upgraded to 9.4 yet?  We just did this fall (from 9.1 to 9.4) and I'm struggling with the latest version of geomedia (16.5).

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Agood way to learn python besides class is export models out to python.  You can then add better error logging yhan modelbuilder.  ESRi does not support model export to Pro, so now is a good time to learn python while this functionality is available in ArcMap.

Is this workflow even available with Pro yet to be done with models?

JohannaKraus2
Occasional Contributor

I just came across this post...we've been using geomedia and iMapEditor for many years now to publish a .map file for our Intergraph CAD (computer aided dispatch) system.  Recently we upgraded to geomedia 16.5 and are having a VERY difficult time publishing a .map file (processing the data, creating plys and exporting labels is all fine) .  Is anyone one using this version of geomedia successfully?

0 Kudos
brunosouza
New Contributor

hi Johanna. I know what you're being through... I've published maps for ICAD for at least 5 years.

For populating ICAD tables the 16.5 version of IMapEditor is ok, but it's the worst one for publishing .map files... 

What I can suggest to you to make things easier is to run GeoMedia 16.0. If you have concurrent licenses just setup a v16 instance on another computer or virtual machine and point it to to your license server. GeoMedia licenses are retrocompatible, a v16.5 license can activate any GeoMedia version down to v14.