Select to view content in your preferred language

StreamServer

04-04-2023 01:04 PM
Labels (1)
AddisonShaw
Occasional Contributor

Hey guys,

We are currently integrating maps into our web application through the Leaflet API. We've gotten a few questions about supporting "live" layers (turns out they are StreamServers). This functionality seems to have more support through the ArcGIS JS SDK, but wondering if there are any recommendations on usage within Leaflet.

Searching around the web, I see some packages like esri-leaflet-stream which seem like wrappers around WebSockets. We could certainly do something similar, but I suppose I'm wondering if there is more official support, or examples.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

Hi @AddisonShaw,

This functionality seems to have more support through the ArcGIS JS SDK, but wondering if there are any recommendations on usage within Leaflet.

That's right, for everything with the exception of Esri cloud-hosted APIs that's usually the case.

I'm wondering if there is more official support, or examples.

I'm sorry, but as far as I know there is no official support for this and it is not planned to be 😔. But maybe we can get revitalize this plugin with community contributions.

A few years ago I had to do the opposite, convert a websocket to a Stream services to be consumed by the Maps SDK for JS, so we had to build a WebSockets wrapper too (but in this case for Node.js).

Related to this I recently I heard from @RichGwozdz  about Koop that:

Output plugins can now use the pullStream method, so long as the linked providers include a getStream method. Docs forthcoming.

I hope this helps,
Raul

0 Kudos