How do I creating a basemap using my own *.PNG or *.TIFF files?

05-26-2015 12:55 PM
JosephGuzzardo
New Contributor II

How does one create a STATIC basemap (or STATIC layer) using ArcMap (Arc-GIS Pro/Desktop) using my very own *.TIFF or *.PNG files? 

And if I want to get really fancy, how do I the same, but create a LAYER to which I can tie ("clip"??? whatever???) to an existing "out-of-the-box" ERSI/Arc-GIS basemap using ARC-GIS Pro/Desktop's ArcMap?  Or, do I use another module other than ArcMAP?

These image files are NOT to be used for any dynamic fancy data analysis or anything else -- they are simply a basemap of existing surveys and county maps that I'd like to use as either:

a) a BASEMAP; and/or

b) a LAYER with some dimming or transparency as an overlay atop the "out-of-the-box" ERSI U.S. Roadmaps Basemap... 

NOTHING FANCY / NOTHING DEMOGRAPHICAL or ANALYTICAL -- JUST A STATIC LAYER! 

This has to be easier than spending ANOTHER 27 hours I've already spent reading the ARC-GIS manuals. 

20 Replies
IanMurray
Frequent Contributor

That warning is merely telling you what you already know, that your image files do not already have a spatial reference(yet).  The easiest way to find where your image was brought in to ArcMap is by right clicking on the image layer on the Table of Contents(Layer Panel) and selecting zoom to layer(likely at a very small scale).  It will likely be nowhere close to any of any value to you on your map, but thats okay. When you begin georeferencing, it will scale and rotate according to your control points and should be close to what you are needing once completed.  You will be needing to be zooming in and out and back and forth alot, so the zoom to layer will be of great help to you. 

You will need to follow the fundamentals of georeferencing that Sephe posted, but it will be a process of matching a point on your image to a point on your data that would be the same.  The first set of matching points should fix your images location(the point on your image and point on your data should be the same), the second set generally fixes the scale so they match in size(likely your image is much much smaller than your dataset, usually are for my images).  The third and subsequent matched points, will fix any problems of rotation and warping of the image to properly fix your raster to your dataset.

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Yes, you should expect this warning with the image you're about to georeference. It hasn't been given a spatial reference yet, but that's what you are about to do!

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Not sure about the Mouse locked to zoom issue - maybe the computer needs to be rebooted?

In regards to Georeferencing your image, some advice, assuming you are using ArcMap:

• Georeferencing is not intuitive in many ways.  For example, one can't really drag an image around to help align it.  Instead, one gets it "somewhat close" with the "Fit to Display".
  • To align the image, one creates control points by finding common information on both images and drawing the links.  This involves zooming back and forth, from the image you want to georeference to the known data.  Once you have several good control point links, you can do the adjustment.
  • The actual adjustment of the image is not done by selecting it in the Table of Contents (which would be intuitive).  Instead, in the Georeferencing Toolbar, the image to be georeferenced needs to be chosen in the pulldown on the left.

georeferencing toolbar.jpg

• As Sephe mentioned, this is not a straightforward process to do the first time around.  I think all of us who have learned it pulled out our hair a bit at first, as it is easy to get tripped up.  If you know someone in your organization who could show you the ropes on it, that would help tremendously.  Georefencing is one of those easy things to do once you know it, but the initial learning curve is steep, as there are many things which can trip one up.
  • One tip for something I learned the hard way - Don't use a Map Rotation on your Data Frame at all.  It is tempting to rotate the data frame to make viewing the data easier, but this will deactivate the Georeferencing capabilities.  So if you have the Data Frame Toolbar up, be sure the Rotation is set to zero the entire time you are Georeferencing - don't change it.  Even if this means georeferencing an image that is upside-down....

Fundamentals of Georeferencing

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Chris Donohue, GISP

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Where do you see a comment about the mouse locked to zoom? I've read through the thread a couple of times, but I just can't seem to find it! Was there a comment here that got deleted? Between your comment, and Darren's about frustration, I feel like I'm missing something.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Sephe - I think it was deleted.  I just re-read the thread and it is gone.

Chris Donohue, GISP

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Oh, ok, thank you. I'm not crazy after all!

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Wait, Sephe, are you sure about that?  You do work with GIS, after all... 

Chris Donohue, GISP

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Good point!

0 Kudos
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

You seem to be getting frustrated, to put it mildly, so my first advice is to take a break and get a fresh start some other time.

Other than that, here is exactly how I georeference images.

1.) Open your image outside ArcMap or print your image so you can look at it.

2.) Start up ArcMap. Make sure the georeferencing toolbar is added.

3.) Add some georeferenced data that you will use to match your image to. There must be some common features between this data layer and your image so that you can make a match (you must make at least three matches).

4.) Add your image using the Add Data button. The image should appear in the Table of Contents and in the dropdown portion of the georeferencing toolbar. Make sure the image is the selected layer in the dropdown portion of the georeferencing toolbar.

5.) Zoom the map so that your georeferenced data (from step 3) is approximately showing the area in your image.

6.) In the georeferencing toolbar, under 'Georeferencing' menu, choose fit to display. Your image should appear, but it's not georeferenced yet.

7.) Find one of the common features on your image. Click the 'Add Control Points' button in the georeferencing toolbar. Click on the image on the common feature to add the first control point. Click the common feature from your georeferenced data to place the second control point. Now you've matched one of your common features between the image and 'the world'. You can click the 'View Link Table' button on the georeferencing toolbar to convince yourself. In fact, get familiar with the link table - this is where you can delete control points when you make a mistake.

8.) Repeat step 7 at least 2 more times with other pairs of common features. You must make at least 3 matches. Try to spread them out across your image. At some point, usually less than 10 matches, the more matches you make, the worse your georeferencing will be, so don't overdo it.

9.) When you're satisfied, click 'Update Georeferencing' under the 'Georeferencing' menu on the georeferencing toolbar.

That's it!

This was a very long-winded way to say: use the georeferencing toolbar to match common features using control points.

SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Joseph, was your question answered? I think it should be, since 3 or 4 people have walked you through the process. If so, do you mind marking an answer as correct? This will help other people with the same problem find the answer. You can also mark any answers as helpful that were particularly valuable to you. Thanks!

0 Kudos