Display different symbols based on attribute?

Jump to solution
05-01-2015 07:52 AM
ManettaDillingham
New Contributor

I downloaded a file containing water wells (shapefile). I want to display the wells based upon the type of well, ie irrigation, monitoring, domestic, etc. How do I go about doing this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

Double click the layer in the table of contents.  Go to the symbology tab.  Select Categories on the left under Show then select your field that stores the well type and click on the Add All Values button.  You can then change each of those symbols to be whatever point symbols you would like.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

Hi Manetta, You can play with both the symbology (the way the layer is drawn) and the labels by right clicking the layer in the table of contents and choosing properties. There are tabs for symbology and labels. Under symbology, you can choose the field to base it on (type), and then pick different colors or symbols for each type. You can also label your wells using that field, and checking the "label features in this layer" box under the label tab. You can read up on this stuff in this help file: ArcGIS Help 10.1

0 Kudos
JeffWard
Occasional Contributor III

Double click the layer in the table of contents.  Go to the symbology tab.  Select Categories on the left under Show then select your field that stores the well type and click on the Add All Values button.  You can then change each of those symbols to be whatever point symbols you would like.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah