Select to view content in your preferred language

Zoom Null Reference Exception

Jump to solution
03-08-2024 08:21 AM
Labels (4)
JeremiahOsborne
New Contributor

Hello all, I'm running into an issue were zooming quickly causes a NullRefrenceException to be thrown. To provide further context, I'm using a standard map object and its built-in panning/zooming capabilities (no custom logic). 

When zooming in, the output is spammed with 'System.Net.WebException', 'System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException', and 'System.ObjectDisposedException' in System.dll. The exception points directly at "innerAsyncResult.InternalWaitForCompletion()" at line 402 in "ForwardingReadStream.cs".

I assume this is related to too many http requests being made, but i'm unsure. There doesn't seem to be a work around even when wrapping a "setViewpointAsync" call.

Here are the details from the call stack:

System.NullReferenceException
HResult=0x80004003
Message=Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Source=System
StackTrace:
at System.Net.Cache.ForwardingReadStream.EndRead(IAsyncResult asyncResult) in System.Net.Cache\ForwardingReadStream.cs:line 402
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

The exception you're pointing to shouldn't be an issue - this can occur deep down the .NET networking stack when a request gets cancelled, but it should _not_ lead to an application crash. It's merely a first-chance exception, and just how .NET does network requests. Did you by any chance enable that exception in the error-list to break on first chance exceptions of this type? Are you actually seeing an application crash if you just continue? (or run without the debugger attached)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
PreetiMaske
Esri Regular Contributor

Is it a WPF Framework app? If yes, try a WPF .NET app.

0 Kudos
JeremiahOsborne
New Contributor

Not sure i'm following, I'm using a normal WPF desktop application solution and using components from the nuget packages shown below:

Screenshot 2024-03-08 132426.png

So far everything works fine, just seems to run into an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" issue when scrolling too quickly.

0 Kudos
PreetiMaske
Esri Regular Contributor

For WPF , you can create two types of application : WPF using .NET Framework or WPF using .NET. These are two different frameworks for creating a WPF app. I was suggesting to create a WPF application targeting .NET.
Red circled ones are Microsoft's template for 1) WPF .NET and 2) WPF using .NET Framework. I was suggesting to use either the Maps SDK template( highlighted in blue) or the one I checked in image below.

Blue is ArcGIS Maps SDK template for WPF .NET 

PreetiMaske_1-1709940706068.png

SDK templates can be installed from within Visual Studio. See https://developers.arcgis.com/net/install-and-set-up/#install-the-visual-studio-project-templates-op... for more info.

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

The exception you're pointing to shouldn't be an issue - this can occur deep down the .NET networking stack when a request gets cancelled, but it should _not_ lead to an application crash. It's merely a first-chance exception, and just how .NET does network requests. Did you by any chance enable that exception in the error-list to break on first chance exceptions of this type? Are you actually seeing an application crash if you just continue? (or run without the debugger attached)

0 Kudos
SP2501
by
New Contributor II

I am running into this same issue on some dev machines. Did this end up becoming an issue or a non issue for you?

0 Kudos