Deploying to Simulator on Apple M1 Macs

Jump to solution
10-26-2021 10:19 AM
brayden-marshall
New Contributor II

Hi, I've been wondering: is there currently a plan to support Simulator deployment for Macs with M1 processors?

I've noticed that the documentation for the ArcGIS Runtime for iOS says that it does support this (link), but for ArcGIS Runtime for .NET it does not (link). I have an M1 Mac, and the rest of the developers I work with are going to be switching to M1 Macs fairly soon, so this would be very benificial for us.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

It'll work today, but it'll use the x64 build instead of the arm64-simulator build. The main issue is Xamarin doesn't support it today. Once they do, we do plan to add support for the arm64-simulator architecture.
(I'm using an M1 myself and don't have an issue using the simulator)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

It'll work today, but it'll use the x64 build instead of the arm64-simulator build. The main issue is Xamarin doesn't support it today. Once they do, we do plan to add support for the arm64-simulator architecture.
(I'm using an M1 myself and don't have an issue using the simulator)

brayden-marshall
New Contributor II

Oh okay, that's good to know! I just tested deploying to simulator and it worked for me.

I hadn't tested it recently, but I had tested it multiple times earlier this year and I was never able to get it to work. Do you know if there's anything else that may have changed that would have caused it to work now but not then? (Visual Studio/Xcode updates, etc.)

Either way, it's working for me now, so thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
dotMorten_esri
Esri Notable Contributor

There's currently an issue with enabling SDK linking when deploying to simulator (we should have a fix for that in U13), but if you want hot reload etc, you'd want it off anyway 🙂

0 Kudos
batkaj
by
New Contributor II

Yep. That's true. 

but right now I'm using unofficial emulator

https://github.com/google/android-emulator-m1-preview

it's working but not smooth.

0 Kudos